[3830] WPX SSB P40W(W2GD) SOAB LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, w2gd@hotmail.com
Subject: [3830] WPX SSB P40W(W2GD) SOAB LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2014 13:33:45 +0000

Club: Frankford Radio Club

Comments:

Elecraft K3, Win-Test Logger
80M Inverted V @ 60ft, 80m Half Sq. @ 55ft (USA)
F12 Delta 240 @ 70ft, 4 ele wire beam (EU) @ 55ft
C31XR @ 60ft, C4 @ 60ft
Beverage RX antennas NE, N/S, NW, E/W

COMMENTS:

Folks....lock in your memories of this past weekend....the conditions, 10
meters in particular, were truly spectacular.  It has been decades since I've
heard stations from Asia (HS, XW, VU, UP, UN, 4L, etc.) sound so 'normal' and
loud.  without a smidgen of polar flutter...... and very easy to work with low
power. The old axiom "no meters like 10 meters" was the theme of this
event.

While on the one hand we enjoyed great propagation, it effectively spread
everyone out, and to a degree lowered run rates, at least from this part of the
world.  After many years of somewhat marginal propagation, the normal
concentrations of stations on a particular band at a particular time didn't
follow the expected patterns.  Note to self: adjust operating tactics to meet
actual conditions.

Struggled with power line noise problems (multiple sources) that developed late
Thursday evening....triggered by a very brief rain shower....rendering the
beverage antennas virtually useless (it had not rained on Aruba for two months
so there is plenty of salt buildup on the power lines).  Mercifully the noise
somewhat abated for a portion of the second night.  I remain amazed by how well
the Elecraft K3 noise blanker and noise reduction features work.

The world-wide growth in the number of available Prefixes was certainly evident
this weekend....and welcomed.  Thanks go to all of the normally 'non contesters'
for getting on the air to make so many multipliers available.

Looking forward to seeing many in the "contest family" at WRTC2014
this July.

73,

John, W2GD @ P40W