[3830] WPX SSB LA3S(LA3BO) SOSB10 LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] WPX SSB LA3S(LA3BO) SOSB10 LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2014 17:09:12 +0000
                    CQWW WPX Contest, SSB

Call: LA3S
Operator(s): LA3BO
Station: LA3S

Class: SOSB10 LP
QTH: JO59CC
Operating Time (hrs): 29

------------
  160:
   80:
   40:
   20:
   15:
   10:
------------
Total:  987  Prefixes = 580  Total Score = 1,418,680

Club: LA Contest Club

Comments:

I was not ready for SOAB this year, and the low-band antennas are down at LA3S,
so the obvious entry would be SO10. This, in combination with very good
conditions recently on the high frequencies, made the choice easy.

I normally prefer CW, and operate SSB LP in contests so seldomly that I forget
how frustrating it is to have no attention. In a contest where
"everybody" represent a mult, the only way to be noticed is a strong
signal. That is not easy with 100w and 3el. How I missed the rbn! The operation
was 80% S&P, with only a few runs during the final opening to NA on Sunday.

My goal was to beat the old national record at 423k. By the end of day 1 I was
about half, but the openings to JA and NA were not very productive, so I was
anxious about the conditions in day 2. It opened quite early with a much better
opening to JA, and also NA came in with better signals than the day before. At
sunset I realized that I had a good signal in NA, and could benefit from the
fact that most of the other EU stations either had the band closed, or had
moved to a lower band. So the last 3-4 hours were the most enjoyable. I have
seldomly increased the rate towards the end of a contest, but thanks to some
spotters, I could add about 400k to the score.

I look forward to the CW leg, it will probably be SO10. Long live the
sun-spots, this is fun!

73,
Svein, LA3BO