[3830] WPX SSB 9A1A M/M HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, nikola.percin@gmail.com
Subject: [3830] WPX SSB 9A1A M/M HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2014 18:37:21 +0000
                    CQWW WPX Contest, SSB

Call: 9A1A
Operator(s): 9A9A 9A5W 9A2DQ 9A5E 9A6A 9A6TKS 9A7R 9A7C 9A5DDT 9A5M 9A8A
Station: 9A1A

Class: M/M HP
QTH: Kozjaca
Operating Time (hrs): 48

------------
  160:   434
   80:   886
   40:  1307
   20:  2785
   15:  2333
   10:  2352
------------

Club: Croatian Contest Club

Comments:

For the first time we have enough number of experienced operators for good
participation in MM SSB entry.

But Mr Murphy had another plans. At begining of the contest some problems with
40m PA and its antenna tower caused our work until Saturday morning hours more
LP then HP on that band.
But that was the first step.  Situation became worse  when 15m and 10m being
opened. Heavy periodical  local QRM  on all bands started.Such situation we had
never.  As the first step we stopped transmission on 160, then 80 and then on 40
meters. Situation became a little better.
On Saturday afternoon operation on low bands was close connected with local
interference we had. When 15 was closed situation became much better. We can
say normal for low bands operation. In Sunday mornig became worse again . The
biggest source of the problem we found in late Sunday afternoon.

Our all antenna towers are guy wired type. We noticed on the tower, where are
15M stacks, one upper guy wire was touching director of upper 15M antenna stack
JA direction and causing sparking which is not visible during day time!
Until that time we spent almost 40 hours of the contest. Temporary fixing of
the problem which was on 30 meters above ground level eliminated all QRM.

Final result was to be QRT on 160 and 80M a few hours more then usual, but on
40M we were QRT almost 11 hours, and we lost of significant number of QSOs on
20,15 and 10M with stations who had week signals.Surely some MULTS were lost
too.

As consequence, after more then 20 years of this  antenna towers use,  a new
lession learned.
All guy wires and antenna systems  must be under inspection at least 5 days
before contest, to have enough time to make eventual problem fixed.

In spite of those problems  atmosphere within team reamined excellent. During
contest  we had a nice social event with nice meat including huge grill, and
beer & wine added.
Finaly we broke from Y2000 our 9A MM record.

Thanks to all who called us. See you in CW leg

73,
9A1A team