[3830] EA RTTY K4GMH SOAB HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, k4gmh@arrl.net
Subject: [3830] EA RTTY K4GMH SOAB HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 06 Apr 2014 16:43:15 +0000
                    EA RTTY Contest

Call: K4GMH
Operator(s): K4GMH
Station: K4GMH

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: VA
Operating Time (hrs): 11
Radios: SO2R

   80:   36    24
   40:  130    60
   20:  136    61
   15:  268    89
   10:  141    56
-------------------
Total:  711   290  Total Score = 517,650

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

Thanks to URE for sponsoring the Contest. Thanks
also to all who were kind enough to work me.
Conditions were weird on this end.  Had to take a
break for several hours, 2000 - 2400z, which
strongly suggested to move one of the SO2R 15 - 10 m positions
to 40 meters.  Turns out 40 meters, along with 80 meters
had strong QRN from early Spring storms in the
South USA.  The QRN, even with directional antennas,
was too strong to tame for less than tense operating
on 40 - 80 meters.  Finally called it quits at 0300z and
watch the end of the Kentucky/Wisconsin basketball
game.  However, turns out I should have stuck with operating as
propagation got worse the next morning on the upper HF bands:>(

Got back in the shack ~1130z and found I had a bad connection on one of
the HB filter switching box connectors.  Took half hour
to find it (the crawling under the operating desk was
the hard part) and get back to operating in the morning (1200z).
Started listening to 15 and 20 meters.  Twenty had some
European stations coming thru, but 15 meters was a blank!
The day before 15 m had a number of strong European RTTY
signals at 1200z even though the Contest hadn't started.
What was wrong?  A few minutes later learned there had
been a large Solar flare(?) and this probably was the
reason for the loss of propagation to Europe (SA stations were
being heard).  Later in the morning, 15m and 20 m did
get back to having some strong signals from Europe (SA
stations seemed to get stronger as well).  Fifteen
meters propagation became good to point the
Asian stations were stronger than many of the European
signals.

Good participation by the EA operators.  Nice to see all
the EA activity on the various bands.

  73,
  Mike, K4GMH