[3830] MiQP KT8K Single Op QRP

To: 3830@contesting.com, kt8k@arrl.net
Subject: [3830] MiQP KT8K Single Op QRP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 20 Apr 2014 16:14:20 +0000
                    Michigan QSO Party

Call: KT8K
Operator(s): KT8K
Station: KT8K

Class: Single Op QRP
QTH: EN82ch
Operating Time (hrs): 9:15

   80:   55     13
   40:   78     43
   20:   29      3
   15:    2      0
   10:    0      0
--------------------
Total:  164     59  CW Mults = 60  Ph Mults = 37  Total Score = 37,539

Club: Mad River Radio Club

Comments:

This one is always a blast - where else can a QRP-er  do so much RUNNING??  110
of my Q's, nearly half, were logged while running and none of the runs were
less than 30 Q's/hr (one was 72/hr, held for 16 minutes!).  This may not sound
like much to you guys running the "big power" (over 50 Watts?) but
it's a huge grin for me.  My Mad River clubmates said "run like the big
guns" and I did, and in this contest it actually worked.

Thanks to all who struggled to hear my weak signal.  I wasn't having an easy
time hearing, either.  Noise levels here were mostly high, as in S6-7 on 20 and
40 meters - not so great.  Still, even the signals down in the noise level were
almost always workable, so maybe the noise was local to me.

The pace in this contest is always moderate, a bit more laid back and much like
I would expect from a "QSO Party".  I crank down the CW speed and just
enjoy it (but I usually shift to match the speed of stations I'm contacting
anyway).

Crowding was rare but it was great to have stations from all over the country
and world participating.  Perhaps because of the noise level, or because of the
Easter holiday, there didn't seem to be nearly as much action as in recent
years, but that might have been my noise level's fault, too.  No matter - it
was a great and fun contest as always.

Radio contesting is a great and unusual sport, in large part because successful
competition means cooperation and collaboration, not evading or trying to hurt
the other guy.  This sport far more closely typifies the pioneer spirit - it
wasn't gunslingers that built the Old West, for example, it was hard working
farm families working together in communities that built it.  I see that same
spirit of helping each other played out in ham radio contests, clubs, elmering
relationships, and cross-cultural friendships.  I believe this is the spirit we
need more of, today and in the future.  In any case, I'm enjoying it, and plan
to keep at it until they pry the paddles from my fingers and roll me away.

Best rx to all & 73 de kt8k -- Tim

Equipment:
Tentec Orion
ancient Dell Inspiron 8200 laptop
WGA TR-2000 headset
MFJ Grandmaster 484c memory keyer w. 1st edition Bencher paddle

Software:
N1MM logging software running on XP

Antennas:
20/40/80m 3-wire inverted vee (double-U?), apex <50 feet
500' wandering horizontal loop in the trees, fed w. TV twin lead and LDG Z11
autotuner