[3830] 432SprngSprnt K1WHS Single Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, k1whs@metrocast.net
Subject: [3830] 432SprngSprnt K1WHS Single Op HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Thu, 24 Apr 2014 20:45:23 +0000
                    432 MHz Spring Sprint

Call: K1WHS
Operator(s): K1WHS
Station: K1WHS

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: FN43MJ
Operating Time (hrs): 2.5

Total:  QSOs = 49  Mults = 17  Tot Dist(km) = 0  Total Score = 833

Club: North East Weak Signal Group

Comments:

I started the 432 Sprint using the AF1T patented Di-pickle antenna mounted 14 ft
above ground.  I managed to worked Dale, AF1T/W1AW/1 to extend the pickle
antenna distance record. Signals were about S6 each way. After that exercise, I
switched to the big 432 array at 100 ft. The preamp up on the tower was dead, so
that limited my hearing by a significant amount.  I started looking for contacts
anyway. there was never any great amount of activity that I could hear. Signals
were weak with all the loss in the receive line. Still I worked a few stations
in the Philadelphia area which surprised me. I think my receiver was acting
like a Japanese multi mode single band radio from the 1980's. (deaf). I spent a
lot of time looking west and northwest, but did not work much. VE2XX and VE3FN
were my only Canadians. I actually worked Bill, K1DY in FN54 for my only qso to
the northeast. Yay!! Out west, I did work K8ZES N2YB, and K2ERG. Nothing else
worked. Down SW, I worked into FN10, FN11, and FM29. It seems that, I could
only work stations out to about 380 miles and no farther. Guys like K3TUF and
K8ZES were at the 380 mile distance. Band condx must have been pretty bad, but
with no preamp it was hard for me to gauge things. By 9:30 PM local time I ran
out of signals and energy.  I took my pickles and went home.