[3830] FlQP K5WA SOABCW LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, K5WA@arrl.net
Subject: [3830] FlQP K5WA SOABCW LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 27 Apr 2014 23:09:53 +0000
                    Florida QSO Party

Call: K5WA
Operator(s): K5WA
Station: K5WA

Class: SOABCW LP
QTH: Texas
Operating Time (hrs): 14
Radios: SO2R

   40:   35     0
   20:  305     0
   15:   10     0
   10:    1     0
--------------------
Total:  351     0  CW Mults = 67  Ph Mults = 0  Total Score = 94,068

Club: Central Texas DX and Contest Club

Comments:

With no outdoor antenna (dipole in attic), low power and very little time to
spare I was not thinking I would have any fun this weekend in FQP, however,
with all the great ears in most of the mobiles, I was able to work all 67
counties with my little peanut whistle home station and have a ball to boot.  I
had gotten all but three counties on the first day and then picked up two of the
last three on 40M early Sunday morning but WAL was just not in the cards.  I
looked at the "Counties on the Air" plan and saw that NO5W was my
only hope of getting WAL near the end of the contest.  About an hour and a half
before the end, Chuck had a huge pileup in WAG and HOL and apparently pulled
over to work the pile down (according to the APRS indicator).  My hopes for a
SWEEP seemed to sink when it looked like he was not going make it to WAL before
2200Z, but he got on I-10 and set the cruise control around 75 mph (again, a
guess on my part from reading the APRS data) and spun through HOL saying WAL
was about 7 miles away and there were still 30 minutes left in the contest.
Right about the time he thought he was going to be in WAL, he stopped
transmitting.  Again I thought my sweep was vanishing at a gas station or pit
stop.  I waited 15-20 seconds and just couldn't wait any longer so I just
called him blind.  Sure enough, he came right back and I was his first WAL QSO
as he was heading home.  The expected huge pileup ensued but my contest was
over with a sweep.  That was fun.

I think NO5W and N4UU tied in the smooth sending mobile category with the best
CW fists.  K5YAA must have had some bad RFI getting into his keying line
because it was tough to copy but if you need a particular county, you can copy
anything.  ;-)

I still remember my mobile run through the FQP with N6MU about 10-12 years ago
when we got 47 counties done.  I'm glad I didn't have APRS back then because we
hit 90-100 MPH for the last hour to catch all the panhandle counties.

Great contest AGAIN FQP!!!

73,
Bob K5WA