[3830] FlQP K1TO SOABMixed LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, k1to@aol.com, fcg@kkn.net, fqp@kkn.net
Subject: [3830] FlQP K1TO SOABMixed LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2014 01:49:11 +0000
                    Florida QSO Party

Call: K1TO
Operator(s): K1TO
Station: K1TO

Class: SOABMixed LP
QTH: MTE
Operating Time (hrs): 20

   40:  209     49
   20:  242    431
   15:  205     80
   10:   22     19
--------------------
Total:  678    579  CW Mults = 103  Ph Mults = 93  Total Score = 758,520

Club: Florida Contest Group

Comments:

Up until Wednesday, things looked bright for this year's FQP.  The same
wonderful condx that were experienced in CQ WPX SSB were due to arrive 27 days
later on the FQP weekend.  But Mother Nature decided to throw in a solar
disturbance on top of the plummeting solar flux numbers and as a result, this
weekend was nothing like we had hoped for.

Without the promotional kick that the 1x1 stations gave us the past 2 years, it
seemed like activity was down.  We had hoped that the ARRL Centennial and W1AW/x
operations would bring out the activity.

With temps predicted to hit 90F on Sunday here, I opted to leave the amps off
and run LP Mixed for a change.

The combination of poor condx, lower activity, running LP and just using one
radio made me feel like I was running in quicksand much of the weekend.  There
are 9-minute gaps between QSOs Sunday AM.  I had to stalk K4OJ/M through many
counties on 40 since they were essentially the only workable station for me at
times.  I played DXer to fill in some mults which was often more fun than
endless unanswered CQs.  My 1-land callsign may have scared some folks off from
working me.  Bottom line is less than half the QSO total from last year when I
was K4O running High Power.

There is a large contingent of folks who return year after year and we deeply
appreciate the support.  Thanks to everyone for the QSOs and the QSYs.

The good news here is that the power co. noise sniffer apparently did a great
job and the noise appears to be gone on 10 through 40 Meters.  (A post-FQP
check shows that the industrial noise which probably radiates from the
next-door dairy farm is still unchanged and very loud (S9+5) here on 160 -- and
still affects 80 quite a bit, too.)

I will likely have to miss WPX CW.  Hope to see many of you in person in Dayton
and/or at WRTC!

vy 73, Dan