[3830] WPX CW NE5LL(N1CC) SO(A)AB LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, jimlaporta@jlaporta.com
Subject: [3830] WPX CW NE5LL(N1CC) SO(A)AB LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 26 May 2014 00:36:42 +0000
                    CQWW WPX Contest, CW

Call: NE5LL
Operator(s): N1CC
Station: NE5LL

Class: SO(A)AB LP
QTH: North Texas
Operating Time (hrs): 32

------------
  160:    0
   80:   13
   40:  160
   20:  530
   15:  447
   10:   61
------------

Club: North Texas Contest Club

Comments:

Operating Postions used:
160-80-40  FT-990 100W, 80/40 Fan Dipole @50', Inverted L for 160
20-15-10   K3/100 100W, Force 12 C3 at 64'
One Windows 7 Professional computer at each operating position running WriteLog
Version 11.20D April 2014.  Log shared over both positions as in M2
configuration, not SO2R and no switching done towards that purpose.  This
configuration was being tested for later contests as M2/MS operation.

The week before WPX the FT-990 failed and was sent for repair, and was easily
fixed (cracked solder point on microprocessor - 25 years of operation).  Chose
to buy the K3/100 as the end primary radio, with the FT-990 - due to age and no
parts available -  so that I won't be off the air as I was for 10 days after the
FT-990 failure. (The K3 was expidited by Elecraft and got here Thursdyay!)

WPX was a learning experience!  First encounter with the menu-driven SDR that
the Elecraft K3 represents.  Learning curve fast and well documented
instructions were helpful... there's more to learn for sure!

Tried 160 several times, with a slow-moving storm area less than 200 miles away
all weekend the static was too much to handle.  Did get one station to answer
but could not complete the contact due to the noise conditions.

80 Meter noise was very high, and my antenna is still a bit lower than ideal
and will have to be worked on some more.  Planning on more wire antennas before
IARU.

40 Meter noise was not bad, I think the storms were in the "Skip
Zone" as I was able to run, work almost everyone I called and Sunday
morning JA/BA open was as good as a 20 or 15 meter opening with great signals
and fast turnaround.  In reflection I might have readjusted my time for 40
Meters to use the best times.

20 Meters was the workhorse, yet again, Friday night run was impressive albiet
only at 60-rate - sustained for three hours.  Both nights 20 was open
"wide" to most area's of the world all night long.

15 Meters second best and was also open past midnight both nights ... fewer
stations so I think folks did not realize the band was staying awake!

10 Meters a disappointment.  Saturday morning best time, Sunday wasn't
consistent producer .... if we had the spots (sun) needed 10 would have been
very worthwhile here.

With the K3 I was able to detect a "malicious" behavior by the big
guns.  Even when you are spotted, they belly up 20 Hertz below you and your
pile up runs away ... to their stronger signal.  I could not figure it out with
the FT-990 cause it's not "state-of-the-art".  It would seem that the
big guns who are assisted or multi-op would have the commen sense to check for
spots near what they "think" is THEIR frequency before squatting down
and blasting out.  I can "understand" the non-assisted big guns making
that judgement in the blind.  I think we all need to rethink that behavior
pattern.  One Polish station followed me all Saturday and part of Sunday ... as
soon as I was spotted my pile would tail down, and by moving my K3 dial I
consistently found this same 2X1 starting a run within 10-50 Hz of my signal...
fun huh!

Noticed more buzzy signals, in particular some of the eastern europe stations
and one JA0 that had a nearly raw AC note and was drifting too.