[3830] WPX CW K5NA SOSB10 QRP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] WPX CW K5NA SOSB10 QRP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 26 May 2014 13:48:47 +0000
                    CQWW WPX Contest, CW

Call: K5NA
Operator(s): K5NA
Station: K5NA

Class: SOSB10 QRP
QTH: Texas
Operating Time (hrs): 27

------------
  160:
   80:
   40:
   20:
   15:
   10:  258
------------

Club: Central Texas DX and Contest Club

Comments:

This is my first serious contest since 2011. I don't know why I chose the QRP
category category to break the ice with. It was hard work.

There are a lot of nuances to doing QRP and I picked up a few of them as I
went. But I certainly didn't learn all there is to know about the category.

I did a lot of S/P the first day and I found that the other stations had to be
quite loud to achieve a quick and easy QSO. If I had to repeat my call several
times, it would then turn into a struggle to get my number across. Thanks to
the good operators who hung in there and worked hard to get my number
correctly.

I called many stations both days that never answered me. On some I finally got
through by being there and calling just as the band peaked up.

On the second day I tried calling CQ more and had a few mini-runs. Some of the
runs were as many as 6-8 QSOs but they were usually stretched over a 30 to 45
minute time period. I decided that though I had a weak signal most places,
there was always some place I would be loud to. I only had to call CQ long
enough for a person from there to find me. But when I would go about 10 minutes
of CQing without an answer, it was back to S/P up and down the band.
Occasionally I would find some good stuff that had no pileup because I found it
before the spotters and/or Skimmer had located it.

Other notes.

When CQing, I don't recall ever having a DX station answer me, only USA

I never worked Asia though I heard and called several JAs. I also heard a 4Z4
and P33W work someone I was calling.

In Europe I only worked Spain and Sicily. I heard and called many other
Europeans.

Other than working the USA, the bulk of my QSOs were to PY and LU. But I still
could not work all of those that I heard.

I seemed to have a pipeline to VK/ZL and everything else in the South Pacific.
My QTH has always done well on 10M in that direction. Besides VK/ZL, other good
DX that way was E51, FK, FO, KH6, P29, and V7.

I never sent "QRP" or "/QRP" when signing my call.

Will I do another serious QRP effort? Probably not because I don't have the
patience it requires.

73, Richard - K5NA