[3830] WPX CW C4Z(5B4AIZ) SOSB15(TS) HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] WPX CW C4Z(5B4AIZ) SOSB15(TS) HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Tue, 27 May 2014 09:36:16 +0000
                    CQWW WPX Contest, CW

Call: C4Z
Operator(s): 5B4AIZ
Station: 5B4AIZ

Class: SOSB15(TS) HP
QTH: LARNACA
Operating Time (hrs): 34

------------
  160:
   80:
   40:
   20:
   15: 1805
   10:
------------

Club: Chiltern DX Club

Comments:

Don in his G5W report comments band cndx were probably better in SE Eu, that
wasn't the case on 15m here in 5B land where I was doing a single bander.
Saturday was pretty grim. The start was promising, on air at 4.00am local time
(z+ 3hrs) I wanted to catch the VK/ZL's who have not been appearing on the SP
in recent weeks. Although the major areas were not coming through, the long
path was open with good signals so there were several logged from Oceania inc
YB, plus many from Carrib and Central America. Good to get those in the log
without the need to scrap for them with the eu's later in the day.

BY's were first to appear from the east and they were there in numbers. Big
guns apart, JA's were spasmodic and did not provide the anticipated runs the
whole weekend. Other than UA0's who were strong at times, signals fom Asia were
weak. When the band opened to Eu the openings were selective. Around 10.00am the
absorption was increasing and things went downhill thereafter.

I note that David at G1N mentions a rate of 180. I never got close to that,
due, in part, to the need for repeat fills from Eu stns. Strange that I seldom
needed more than two attempts to fill from JA or USA but Eu was difficult, the
best rate I noticed was 136 but mainly under 100 and falling. During the
periods of silence S&P wasn't achieving much, mainly hearing the mega
stations. For the first time ever in a contest I was wishing that I  was going
'Assisted' when the local RBN would alert where I could find those  brief
openings where areas were coming through.

By mid afternoon the rate fell below 30 so I ditched the gameplan and decided
on a 3 hour break, rather than 1 hour at teatime, on the basis that the
absorption would reduce after sunset. In the event I slept over for a further
hour but propagation, whilst still spotty, had improved and I got back to the
100 rate until around 1.00am when USa faded out and there was little to be
heard not already worked. 1100 hard earned q's in the log after first day.

A later start Sunday, after 8.00am, but cndx sounded a little better and
improved as the day went on. A fact with single band is that running is not so
productive  second day and you do spend a lot of time S&P'ing stations you
have already in the log, especially when they need repeats. SO2R gets me in a
complete tangle, 2vfo's is the best that I can manage, I really don't know how,
apart from 'might is right' bullying, they hang on to their run qrg's as , at
times, I was on the other vfo for barely 20 seconds and found my run qrg taken.
Continous  cq'ing on a loop  for what can be minutes at a time is both selfih
and  inconsiderate of wasting other peoples time which is just as valuable as
your own. Moving  wasn't an issue this weekend as there were plenty of gaps due
to the fade outs.

Only 700 q's added but a more enjoyable day. Some strange openings at times
with US/VE west coast popping up at very unusual times, especially Bob K3EST (
I see he was operating from N6RO) who was incredibly loud both long and short
path.  Being called by VE4/5 (usually a black hole) plus  KH7YY & KG6DX in
the evening were a thrill, I didn't find any Pacific stns myself. Then, later
getting among the W6/7/0's, that is one of the attractions of this contest, in
the winter contests we do not share enough daylight to get far beyond the
8/9's.

Good to hear 4U1ITU back on the air, they must have finally determined an area
to use as a shack and room on the rooftop for an antenna, their signal was very
strong, considering they would be only casual visiting ops they were making a
good showing when I was hearing them.

My final tally was  - 1805 nett qso's with 900 Prefixes - 34 Hours. It doesn't
seem long since I could do 40 hrs in a 48 hr test, now I can't manage he full
quota in a 36hr! I somehow corrupted my logging prog which messed up the
scoring, my best guess is around 4.5M pts, I will let the CQ log checker sort
it out.

Eqp't - TS570 + Acom 1010. Tribander Up 15m.  Logging with 'SD'.

73  Briaan C$Z / 5B4AIZ.