[3830] WPX CW OG2P(OH2PM) SOSB20 HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, pertti.simovaara@pp1.inet.fi
Subject: [3830] WPX CW OG2P(OH2PM) SOSB20 HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Tue, 27 May 2014 18:05:02 +0000
                    CQWW WPX Contest, CW

Call: OG2P
Operator(s): OH2PM
Station: OH2PM

Class: SOSB20 HP
QTH:
Operating Time (hrs): 36

------------
  160:
   80:
   40:
   20: 2229
   15:
   10:
------------

Club: Contest Club Finland

Comments:

My last 20 m SB operation at home QTH was 20 years ago. Last year I guest-
operated OH1TX's station.
Since the dark or dawn time in southern Finland is now less than 6 hours there
is no way to reach a competitive score even on European level on AB class. The
only band that most certainly is open for 24 hours a day is 20 m. Also 15 m can
be good if you are lucky.
I did monitor the bands during several days before the contest and found the
20-band in excellent shape. Based on my findings and predictions I even made
hourly direction map for all my three 20 meter Yagi-antennas  for maximum count
of DX-QSOs.
At my age the planning is as big thrill as the contest itself and one can do it

even during the sleepless nights. When planning I totally neglect the operator
factor which in my case is <1. Compared to an AB-plan that I have made for
my previous CR2X operations, the SB-plan is very straight forward.

Some signs of what is going to happen were foreseen already a day or two before
the contest. So it was no big surprise when minor black outs and aurora ruined
my plan. Like in orienteering if the terrain and map do not match the terrain
is true, also in radio contesting what you hear(or do not hear) is true and you
have to go to plan B or C.
At times propagation went so bad that I decided to devide all the power to the
2el Yagi derected to EU, because there was absolutely no DX heard by the 4over4
at 40/20 m or 3el Yagi at 24 m.
Conditions were up and down frequently. In order to not miss any short openings
I decided to have 1-2 hour breaks, actually I finally ended up to 8 breaks which
is no good for resting.
I reached my goal of prefixes but went 400 NA QSOs short of the target, mainly
the first night. Often the the first 6-7 hours of the contest produce 120-160
QSO/h, this time I only once reached 100 QSO/h during the week end. Hard work,
great fun but not enough would a sport coach say.

                 2014 CQ-WPX-CW OG2P
                   Continent List

                    160    80    40    20
                    ---   ---   ---   ---
      USA calls =     0     0     0   620
   Canada calls =     0     0     0    63
       NA calls =     0     0     0    22
       SA calls =     0     0     0    33
     Euro calls =     0     0     0  1152
  African calls =     0     0     0     9
    Asian calls =     0     0     0   152
    Japan calls =     0     0     0   189
    Ocean calls =     0     0     0    35

    Total calls =     0     0     0  2276

Many thanks for all the QSOs and see you in the next contests.

Pertti, OG2P/OH2PM