[3830] AlQP W0BH SOMixed HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] AlQP W0BH SOMixed HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 08 Jun 2014 20:01:50 +0000
                    Alabama QSO Party

Call: W0BH
Operator(s): W0BH
Station: W0BH

Class: SOMixed HP
QTH: KS
Operating Time (hrs): 10.6
Radios: SO2R

  160:
   80:    8      2
   40:   49     16
   20:   71     27
   15:   26     19
   10:    6      4
--------------------
Total:  160     68  CW Mults = 51  Ph Mults = 28  Total Score = 30,652

Club:

Comments:

Conditions were really excellent from Kansas to Alabama this year, but it seemed
like activity was way down from last year. I only found half the mobile stations
listed on the web site, but the mobiles who did get out there really worked
hard.

Overall I missed 12 counties (combined) compared to 2 in 2013:
BUTL CHOC CLRK COFF CONE CREN FAYE JKSN LAMA LOWN MNRO WASH

My overall Q count was down by 27, and that would have been much much worse
without super-mobile Jerry/K5YAA pouring out the counties and the kilowatts for
a total of 82 contacts or 36% of my total contacts. It's even more amazing since
Jerry was a solo op and only put out 14 counties. That means we averaged 5.8
contacts per county which means 3 bands per county. It doesn't get any better
than that! He really perfected the fast SSB-switch this time with his
"new" antennas and it paid off for both of us.

Later in the afternoon from Franklin county, Jerry mentioned that he was in
quite a storm. I pulled up the radar to see what was happening and saw lots of
severe thunderstorm warnings in the northwestern part of Alabama. The worst
activity seemed to be in Franklin county. While I watched, they put up a
tornado warning "box" covering the center of Franklin county. I
pulled up the text of the warning and it said a radar-indicated tornado was 9
miles southwest of Russellville moving east.

I immediately found Jerry on CW, switched him to SSB, and asked exactly where
he was. He'd gone through Russellville "a little while ago" heading
southeast, so he "hunkered down" but of course kept operating! I kept
one ear on Jerry, and had Lorna keep an eye on the radar until the red warning
box went away. Jerry was glad to hear that and so was I. Lots of bad weather
there yet, but he made it out.  We were even able to make an 80m CW contact
from Franklin county in the midst of the storm. Unbelievable.

Here's my log's activity count for the mobiles :

82 K5YAA/m
27 KN4Y/m
21 W4AN/m
13 K4ZGB/m
03 KC4HW/m (and another 3 from your home, I think). Mobile problems ??
01 N3FU/m, but it was a new mult in his only county!

Twice I called John/K4BAI in W4AN/m after hearing him give out a county and got
a new county instead as he crossed the line. In both cases, I luckily just
missed the contact and not the mult!

I worked fixed stations K5WP, N4KG, and NV4B five times each.

Thanks to the ACG and the operators who made this another fun event! Special
thanks to Jim/KC4HW for his hard work as well.  Until the next one ...

73, Bob, w0bh