[3830] NAQP RTTY WI9WI Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, jhfitzpa@wisc.edu
Subject: [3830] NAQP RTTY WI9WI Single Op LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 20 Jul 2014 18:08:37 +0000
                    North American QSO Party, RTTY - July

Call: WI9WI
Operator(s): WI9WI
Station: WI9WI

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: Madison, WI
Operating Time (hrs): 3

   80:   40    21
   40:   39    22
   20:   21     8
   15:   40    16
   10:   10     7
-------------------
Total:  150    74  Total Score = 11,100

Club:

Team: SMC Roasted Corn

Comments:

Ten was open early with Es to the east coast and strong signals, but few ops
were there. Nothing was heard in any other direction in spite of some plaintive
CQing.

As an experiment I sent my name and state only once in the exchange. Thus I
sent "HISCALL JIM WI". That's it, no repeats. Of 150 QSOs I had a
total of 5 requests for repeats of which 3 were on 80 meters. And I probably
asked for a similar number. I've always been mystified why most RTTY ops send
everything twice, and sometimes even 3 or 4 times. Plus both calls in each
exchange. This seems like a huge waste of time. If you know my call, why send
it
unless you're not sure you have it right? I know what my call is. Similarly, if
I sent your call correctly, don't send it again unless you think I busted it for
some reason. I realize that under marginal conditions or high noise that things
can become very garbled, but it seems to me that under good conditions there is
no need to repeat everything several times unless asked to do so,  just like on
other contesting modes. For what it's worth I was running a K-3 at about 60
watts to a C-3S at 30 ft and a dipole with the center at 20 ft for 40 and 80.
Not exactly a superstation, but it seemed to get through most of the time, so I
see no need to repeat everything in the exchange several times.

Good fun in a limited time.

Thanks for the Qs.

73

Jim