[3830] NAQP SSB KE0L M/2 LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, ke0l@arrl.net
Subject: [3830] NAQP SSB KE0L M/2 LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 17 Aug 2014 17:25:00 +0000
                    North American QSO Party, SSB - August

Call: KE0L
Operator(s): KE0L
Station: KE0L

Class: M/2 LP
QTH: IL
Operating Time (hrs): 7

  160:    4     3
   80:   92    31
   40:  185    40
   20:   40    17
   15:   15     5
   10:    1     1
-------------------
Total:  337    97  Total Score = 32,689

Club: Society of Midwest Contesters

Team: SMC Don't Be Cruel

Comments:

Like NAQP CW, this was more of a Field Day setup with a multiband diplole placed
in the trees and a temp operating station constructed.    Due to the move to the
new QTH I do not have anything permanent setup.  It is interesting to compare
propagation of IL vs. the old QTH in MN.  Three hours after the contest started
I began on the higher bands and tried to get something going on 15m and the band
seemed pretty dead.  I stayed there way too long hoping things would improve.
I then moved to 20m and found a few more stations but found many couldn't hear
me when I attempted to run on a couple different frequencies I felt were clear.
  About an hour into this contest I think I had 15Qs in the log so I decided to
do some S&P and noticed many couldn't hear me on 20.   The antenna was
fairly tuned so I am not sure why other than I am now using a low dipole vs. a
3Elem beam.   I took a short break for supper then decided to move to 40m to
pickup a few close multipliers.   I had a really nice run going on 40m that
lasted quite awhile and I received many comments from the East coast I was loud
so the dipole must do ok on 40m.   I had one guy ask me what power I was running
but 100w with a processor on must have sounded like I was running an amp or
something.   Guess I had a pipeline to the east coast which really helped me
rack up some much needed QSOs.  Static crashes were tough on 40m for me as I
had a difficult time pulling out the weaker stations.   After 3 hours on 40m
the rates slowed so I did some S&P for awhile and stumbled across W9QL
(Dave).   I listened for a bit and when Dave didn't have any takers I asked him
to move to 10m so I could pick up an IL mult there.  After that move, I combed
the 10m band and of course it was dead so I decided to take another 30m break.
This hollering in a microphone is tough on the old voice and I needed a rest.
After the break, I returned to 80m and had a nice run going but after looking
at my lack of QSOs on 20m I decided to move back there.   20 was in much better
shape than it was earlier so I probably should have gone there instead of 80m
after the break.  Oh well.  Overall, I was pleased with the outcome but felt I
lost quite a bit of 20m Qs which hurt for multipliers. As always, I moved to
160m at the end to grab as many new ones as I could.  It was fun working many
old friends and making new ones here in IL.

73, Jim
KE0L