[3830] NAQP SSB KB9OWD Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, ryantiff@charter.net
Subject: [3830] NAQP SSB KB9OWD Single Op LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2014 04:55:25 +0000
                    North American QSO Party, SSB - August

Call: KB9OWD
Operator(s): KB9OWD
Station: KB9OWD

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: WI
Operating Time (hrs): 10

  160:   24    16
   80:   92    26
   40:  270    47
   20:  205    50
   15:  118    26
   10:   12    10
-------------------
Total:  721   175  Total Score = 126,175

Club: Society of Midwest Contesters

Team: SMC All Shook Up

Comments:

Was glad to be able to get on full time, my first time in awhile for this one.
I took the morning to take my family to the local county fair and this bought a
pass from my wife to go full time.

I operated from the old W9BCV QTH.  W9BCV has been a SK for a few years now but
the station remains intact with family living at the house.  This will be the
last operation from there as the house goes on the market September 1st.  I
found the station in less than optimal condition.  The 10 - 20 meter antenna is
a TH7 which has some spotty high SWR.  The 40 and 80 antenna is a full wave 80
meter loop.  One of the legs of this was on the ground on my arrival and I got
it back up 10 feet or so.  The other leg is about 20 feet up.  SO1R operation.

15 was alright at best at the start with spot propogation to CA and a general
area of VA.  10 meters was open to the NE but nobody was there.  I moved
several stations there and was able to work some in the NE with no issue.  10
meter mults include WI, NH, ME, MA, SD, NY, NJ, MD, PA and OH.  15 died after a
few hours but opened about an hour before sunset nice to the west coast again.

Went to 40 early to pick up some mults and came back off and on until the end.
20 was still open to the west coast at the end.  I should have tried a few more
moves to 20 with closer stations late in the evening.  I worked a few MN and IA
on 20 late evening and moved an IL and IN station as well.  Propogation was
there to pick up a few more mults.

80 was really noisy as was 160.  I know there were some that called that I
could not work.  No receive antennas at this station so trying to pull stations
out on 80 on a wire up about 20 feet through the noise.  Sorry for those I could
not get.

Most moves worked, thanks for those that made the effort.  About 80% of those I
asked to move did and about 50% I could say of those actually worked and really
helped the mult count.  I have had much better scores but conditions seemed
fair overall at best.  The station itself had been sitting idle for about 9
months and showed it's rust as well.

Thanks for all the QSO's and the fun!

73,

Ryan KB9OWD