[3830] OhQP N8OT Single Op QRP

To: 3830@contesting.com, paulhurm@gmail.com
Subject: [3830] OhQP N8OT Single Op QRP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 24 Aug 2014 23:40:50 +0000
                    Ohio QSO Party

Call: N8OT
Operator(s): N8OT
Station: N8OT

Class: Single Op QRP
QTH: Butler Co.
Operating Time (hrs): 12

   80:   42     17
   40:   66     57
   20:    3      2
   15:
   10:
--------------------
Total:  111     76  CW Mults = 59  Ph Mults = 51  Total Score = 32,780

Club: John D Kraus Memorial Amateur Radio Club

Comments:

I must first thank John, AE8M, for the loan of his Elecraft KX3 which allowed me
to operate QRP for the third year in a row. Without this loan I would probably
not have been able to participate. Many Thanks!!!

I didn’t, but I should have looked at my previous 2 year’s scores before
the contest started. If I had, I might not have felt so discouraged with my low
scoring rate during the first two-thirds of the 12 hours. My final score ended
up not being as bad as I figured it would when I thought about it during the
contest.

I had mostly torn my station apart and it needed a lot of work rearranging
things during the week or so before hand. I have 3 wire antennas that aren’t
the best but seemed to work OK. Something changed about half way through
though, and RF started getting into the computer. The CW sent by the memories
in my logging software started sounding like it was being sent by a drunken
sailor on a leaky ship in the middle of a tsunami. Thanks to the slow contact
rate, I didn’t feel too bad about having to pause to read the manual to learn
how to program the CW buffers in the KX3. I used those and the paddle
thereafter.

For me, conditions seemed very bad and my contact rate was terrible for more
than the first half of the run. Things got a bit faster after dusk. I made only
5 contacts on 20 meters (both modes) with 40 being my workhorse band. 80 was
only usable for me for the last several hours after most others moved there as
well.

For comparison my 3 years of QRP scores are:
2014 �" 32,780 (claimed)
2013 �" 19,339
2012 �" 37,074

OQP often seems to be affected by weird propagation and this year seemed no
different.