[3830] ARRL Sep VHF WA2FGK(K2LNS) SO 3B LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] ARRL Sep VHF WA2FGK(K2LNS) SO 3B LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2014 23:20:39 +0000

  3.4:
  5.7:
  10G:
  24G:
-------------------
Total:  275    91  Total Score = 29,575

Club: Mt Airy VHF Radio Club

Comments:

About a week ago, I decided to give a so/so effort on the three bands we still
have working. I have not run low power in many years, but felt my 2,000 foot
asl and large array's would make it a bit easier. I was wrong.

Thanks to my ability to do CW, 60% of my contacts were made on that mode.
Especially on 50 mhz., where we actually have a segment to operate CW. Surely
wish we had a segment on 2 meters.  My biggest problem was on 432. My contest
antenna has been taken down and sold. The only array I had was beaming into
trees at 25 feet. I was surprised how well it actually did. It was a surprise
to work EM66 on 144 and 432 mhz. There must have been a tremendous duct heading
that way. I'm sure that station gave many stations a smile when logged.  Six
meters did open for a bit on Saturday, but I only grabbed 3 new grids from the
opening. Where was all the expected Aurora, that the news media told us our
communications would be ruined. No buzz heard.  I'm not sure what I will do in
the future, contest wise. But it was still fun to work some of my friends from
fifty years of VHF contesting. I will operate the 10 ghz test next weekend in
the mornings. I took down the entire system and redid a few things. The sad
thing, it's been back up for two months without making one contact. Very sad.
This probably explains why I am going in different directions. Far to much
white noise. Our new 2304 EME system is very close to being completed. Hope to
have it running for the first leg of the EME contest. We should have around 150
watts at the feed, with the 12 foot dish. That's it from Bear Creek gentlemen

73's Herb at FGK

WA2FGK