[3830] ARRL Sep VHF NF2RS/R(@K2QO) Limited Rover LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] ARRL Sep VHF NF2RS/R(@K2QO) Limited Rover LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2014 00:25:11 +0000

  3.4:
  5.7:
  10G:
  24G:
-------------------
Total:  499   112  Total Score = 67,760

Club: Niagara Frontier Radiosport

Comments:

We had a super time out on the road this year activating 7 grids with the
K2QO/rovermobile signing our club call, NF2RS/r. K2ZR and I hammered away
endlessly while at our hilltops and our claimed score should be a tad better
than last year due to more mults on 2M. We found some decent troop at times and
worked some grids we usually don't reach. There were a few short 6M openings and
working W4IY on 432 SSB from FN092==>FM08 right at the end was GREAT!

Of course there was the usual list of broken stuff and questionable equipment,
but after a fashion it all kinda worked. Here is a random list of
"things".

1. The old KDK 2M FM radio totally trashed the main 2M SSB/CW rig, an IC746.
Both have custom cavity filters so the FM radio is relieved of further duty.

2. The XV432 was fixed a few weeks ago and performed nicely during testing in
the shack. During the rover build testing it would NOT work with its filter in
line.  On SSB it put our very low power while on CW it was fine. More testing
needed.

3. A P3 accompanied the K3 and it worked great but I need more time to really
grok the operation. It seemed that the signals I saw on the scope I would have
worked anyway during the course of the particular grid stop.

4. We used to regularly run 10 bands and due to crazy low activity, now run 4.
Even with that, K2ZR in the front seat had trouble passing me contacts because
I was moving everyone between 6, 222 and 432. At some point on Sunday, he cam
up with some hand signals that really helped.

5. At the first grid stop we ran into a problem with the main stack rotor. It
would not turn CCW unless the rotor box switch was massaged "just
right". This persisted the whole weekend. More to fix!

6. Oh yeah, another dead Diamond Antenna Switch. Good thing we has a spare
Alpha Delta.

OTOH, we had 5-star accommodations and food for Friday and Saturday nights.
Those visits, wine, beer, and Key West shrimp went a long way to ensuring that
we were as energized as possible for the 886 miles through 7 grids in what I
stated before the contest would be a "balls to the wall" effort.

Overall, it was a great run. The only way we could increase our score at this
point is to find more stations on the air.

Station:
Chevy AWD Traverse, K3/P3/XV222 and 432 for the rear and an IC746 for 2M up
front.
6M Par Omni, 222 and 432 Cheap Yagis, 2M7, and pairs of KU4AB Omnis for 144 and
432.

73,
Mark K2QO
Dick K2ZR