[3830] Salmon Run N7WA/M MobileCW LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] Salmon Run N7WA/M MobileCW LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2014 16:08:59 +0000
                    Washington State Salmon Run

Call: N7WA/M
Operator(s): N7WA K7ND
Station: N7WA/M

Class: MobileCW LP
QTH:
Operating Time (hrs):

  160:    0     0       0
   80:   20     0       0
   40:  169     9       0
   20:  344     0       0
   15:   75     0       0
   10:    0     0       0
    6:    0     0       0
    2:    0     0       0
----------------------------
Total:  608     0       0  Mults = 75  Total Score = 136,800

Club: Mike and Key ARC

Comments:

This is my fourth year. Every year is different. Some things, on purpose, as I
make improvements. Other things are just a surprise which can be good or bad.

Like last year, we started out early from home (Kent), stopped in Cle Elum for
breakfast (I recommend the Cottage Café), and were on the Kittitas/Chelan line
by 1600Z. It always starts out slow but this year, it was even slower. After 30
minutes, we only had 5 Q’s in the log as we crossed into Chelan county and
only 12 Q’s when we reached Douglas county. At that point, things did open up
but rates were somewhat down from prior years.

We traveled up to Grand Coulee dam and Nespelium on the Colville reservation
before turning east again over Ferry, Stevens and Pend Oreille. Then it was
south through Spokane, then back west towards Lincoln and Adams. We spent the
night in Ritzville this year meeting up with Randy K7TQ and Jay WA0WWW who were
headed back east through Adams and Whitman. Those two are going to be formidable
completion in the future. I managed to find a quiet spot (the motel parking lot
was S7) to work some 80M before heading to bed.

Since I had already worked out Adams pretty well, we headed out early with the
intent of being on the Adams Whitman border by 1600Z.  We timed it pretty good
but spent 15 minutes at the border just to pick up any last stragglers.  Then
it was on to Whitman with the eventual goal of Asotin. Along the way, you could
watch the long trains of unhappy Cougar fans traveling back west. Whitman is a
long ride and towards the end, I just enjoyed the ride. I probably should have
popped up to 10M and gave it a try (Saturday had been a no-show).

Asotin, Garfield, and Columbia were popular stops. By the time we reached
Dayton, we were both tired so it was time for a break. We got lunch in a pub
and watched the start of the Seahawks game. It was tough to pull away but we
had to hit Yakima by 2330Z. Walla Walla, Franklin, Benton whizzed by. We did
make Yakima at the appointed hour.

Kudos to N6MU who was my first Q in the log and worked me in every county
�" sometimes on multiple bands. K9CW was a close second. OM2VL and SP9LJD
were the most persistent European DX but there were a lot of others here and
there. Some, it was hard to work but we usually didn’t give up. Panama was a
surprise. JA1YNE was my only real Japanese follower (when the band opened) and
I always tried to find him on 15M.  I expect that was Atsushi, JR1NKN/W7KN, who
many of us know from his time in the Seattle area, but I haven’t confirmed it
yet.

It was a long two days. We drove 950 miles round trip. I couldn’t do this
without my driver Jim K7ND who has spent his birthday on the road with me the
past two years. Thanks to all who follow us. While they say the mobiles and
rovers are important, it’s just as important to have the folks at home
looking for us at each new county.

cheers
dink, n7wa