[3830] Salmon Run OM2VL(@OM8A) SOMixed HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, totya@zsmkomds.edu.sk
Subject: [3830] Salmon Run OM2VL(@OM8A) SOMixed HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2014 20:00:47 +0000
                    Washington State Salmon Run

Call: OM2VL
Operator(s): OM2VL
Station: OM8A

Class: SOMixed HP
QTH: Okoc
Operating Time (hrs):

  160:
   80:
   40:   35      0      2
   20:   76     21      1
   15:   32      3      1
   10:
    6:
    2:
----------------------------
Total:  143     24      4  Mults = 36  Total Score = 19,104

Club: Slovak Contest Group

Comments:

I have never taken part in WA QP. The plan for this weekend was:
 - To take part in SC QP and try to work stations from my missed 9 counties +
if I would hear some WA stations in Salmon Run then to take part also on this
QP (try worked my 10 missed WA counties)

SC QP started 2 hours before the WAQP. There were very good condx on 10m, also
but low activity from SC. During first 2 hours 29 QSO were on my LOG. At 16:14Z
first WA station (KD7H) was in my LOG on 20m. During some minutes I found some
anothers ... :)
First hour = 7 QSO on my LOG. During following 2 hours only W7DX were on the
LOG.
I thought my plan was correct : SC QP + some WA QSO ( WA is so hard way from
Slovakia)

BUT! at 19:04Z I worked with W6AEA/7 on 15m,  followed anothers with excellent
signals. I changed bands 15/20m and found another stations. Last QSO on 15m
W7CNP at 20:50Z.

I was thinking of changing my plan ...

Plan #2: To take part in SC QP + "seriously" taking part also on WA
QP in CW category, but only till his 1st period and back home.

Last QSO on 20m at 00:10Z with W7WMO. Worked some SC stations on 40m and
surprisingly at 01:12Z I heard N7WA - weak, but QSO on the LOG. From 01:12Z to
04:53Z 35 !!!! QSO on 40m - unbelievable! + 2 on RTTY :)
First part ended with 74 QSO. (last year the 1st on Out of State CW had around
80 QSO) Hmmmm .... time to change the plan #2 ???

I was thinking about 1 minute and the decission was final ...

Plan #3: SC QP (at this time is over with 96 QSO's + 49 multis - worked 8 from
needed 9 counties / missed only BAMBERG) + stay on the QTH and finish the WA QP
in CW category.

I slept some hours and waited the beginning very excitedly.
at 16:00Z first QSO on the LOG on 15m. I heard also stations on SSB but I
ignored it because of my simple mode category ... what a mistake!
I changed 15/20m and QSO's are growed up:
17:00Z 93 QSO
18:00Z 107 QSO
19:00Z 121 QSO
20:00Z 134 QSO
21:00Z 140 QSO
22:00Z 149 QSO

BUT...!!! time to change my plan again  (because I heard a couple of WA
stations on SSB)

the Plan #4: change the category from CW to MIX:

I began my CQ on 14.278 and extremly BIG USA pileup with stations also from
WA.
I made 24 SSB QSO. I am sure so much another WA stations called me, but on my
"CQ WASHINGTON QSO PARTY" I answerd thousands of another STRONG
stations from all the US states and another continents :)

I don't know how much more QSO I could work if I didn't ignore SSB in first
part of the QP.

Totally I made 171 QSO and 36 multipliers (missed only COW/LEW/SKAM - WW7D/M on
first day was on all 3 counties, but I was busy on SC QP)

My "CW" result is also good: 143 QSO and 35 multipliers = 15.015
points total.

The BIG quotation now is: send MIX or only CW LOG ...

My BIG thanks to all stations who made QSO with me!

Special thanks:
N7WA/M (15 QSO/11 cty)
WW7D/M (13 QSO/13 cty)
K7TQ/M (10 QSO/9 cty)
K7WA/M (4 QSO/4 cty)

W7DX BONUS station 8! QSO: 7 CW/RTTY, 14 CW/SSB/RTTY, 21 CW/SSB/RTTY

73 Laci OM2VL