[3830] CQ WW RTTY AA5AU SOSB(A)/15 HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, aa5au@bellsouth.net
Subject: [3830] CQ WW RTTY AA5AU SOSB(A)/15 HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2014 00:01:46 +0000
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, RTTY

Call: AA5AU
Operator(s): AA5AU
Station: AA5AU

Class: SOSB(A)/15 HP
QTH: LA
Operating Time (hrs): 28

   80:
   40:
   20:
   15: 1190      57      112    38
   10:
------------------------------------
Total: 1190      57      112    38  Total Score = 557,658

Club: Louisiana Contest Club

Comments:

Leading up the contest I couldn't decide if I wanted to go all band low power
or do single band 15 meters high power. I took Friday off from work to
"rest" but I didn't get any. I found out I had problems with my 2
element SteppIR yagi. I did a lot of troubleshooting and determined that
possibly I need more voltage out of the power supply (replace the 24 VAC supply
with a 33 VAC supply). It didn't appear that anything was broken and the
feedline tested good. So in lieu of that, I decided not to chance SO2R. The
antenna did work, it was just being finicky.

I'm glad I ended up going single band 15 assisted because even though the solar
flux was high, the A and K indices were also high so running the amp was a good
choice to achieve maximum fun.

I set goals of 1200 QSO's, 35 zones, 100 countries and all 48 states and to
beat my 2012 record of 438,480. I accomplished most my goals. Getting 112 DX
and 38 zones was really nice. I only missed zones 34 and 35.

I worked some really nice DX but the highlight of the contest was fishing for,
and getting C91C. He was being spotted from time to time but he must have been
S&P the whole time. (Why do people spot S&P stations???) At one point I
found him working a station, so turned the beam to him, went up a few hundred
hertz and called CQ. He came right back to me! Man, I love when that happens.

I believe there were only two multipliers that I saw spots for but didn't work
- 4W6LU and 3W3A. I heard 4W6LU before the contest but never during the
contest.

The contest was really enjoyable! What's nice about a single band effort is you
get more rest and you can do other things while conesting. Although I don't have
a TV in the shack anymore, I was able to complete the transition of my the new
aa5au.com website. It's at dev.aa5au.com if anyone wants to take a peep before
it gets moved to aa5au.com. Thanks to everyone for working me.

Station:
Icom IC756 PRO III
Ameritron AL80B amplifier 500 watts
3 element SteppIR @ 45'