[3830] CQ WW RTTY WB4OMM SOSB/20 QRP

To: 3830@contesting.com, wb4omm@arrl.net
Subject: [3830] CQ WW RTTY WB4OMM SOSB/20 QRP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2014 02:12:17 +0000
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, RTTY

Call: WB4OMM
Operator(s): WB4OMM
Station: WB4OMM

Class: SOSB/20 QRP
QTH: NFL
Operating Time (hrs): 21.5

   80:
   40:
   20:  331      48      73    27
   15:
   10:
-----------------------------------
Total:  331      48      73    27  Total Score = 108,336

Club: Florida Contest Group

Comments:

My first full mainstream contest entry using RTTY QRP on the 20M band!  WOW!  I
am always amazed at how well 5W travels!  It seemed the majority of my Qs were
on the first call, quite a number on two or three calls, a few on many calls -
and some....well, I moved on after 6 minutes of calling with no response, and
came back later �" that strategy seemed to work pretty well.  Daytime was
not as good as late afternoon and evening.  The bands were fabulous, very quiet
here for the whole weekend.  None of the usual S7 static that accompanies the
thunderstorms here in Central Florida!  I started at the bottom of the
sub-band, working the loud signals until I hit the top of the sub-band with the
beam headed at 45 degrees; then moved the beam to 90 degrees, then 325, then
again at 270, using the same pattern.  I couldn’t believe I worked KC4AAA, a
VK & a ZL on 5W! (KC4AAA was on the first call!).  I snagged a few JAs
too…but they were a bit more work! Everyone must have had great ears (or
really good antennas!).  While I worked some folks in Zone 16, most of those
were a long time calling before they heard me, or they heard me not at all.
Ditto Zone 17.  I also heard BD9XE (Zone 23) with an S4 on the meter signal
calling CQ several times, but he never heard me.  After 3 or minutes of my
calling, the pile up started and I gave up.  I also lost GA and AZ mults
because as hard as we tried, I just “didn’t make the trip”.  But what a
blast!  The new N1MMPlus contest software worked without a problem and the new
look and coding was GREAT!  I did find the QRP route much more work than SOLP;
I also didn’t do the assisted.  But I found plenty of Mults just going up and
down the bands and I am flabbergasted to see the numbers I got.  Total Time:
21.5 hours.
Equipment �" FT-2000 at 5W output, A3S Beam at 40 feet; N1MMPlus Contest
software.
Lotsa fun!  And thanks to all of you who were soooooo patient with me on the
repeats to get through!
73! Steve Szabo WB4OMM