[3830] CQ WW RTTY LA3S M/S LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, la3bo@nrrl.no
Subject: [3830] CQ WW RTTY LA3S M/S LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2014 20:03:34 +0000
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, RTTY

Call: LA3S
Operator(s): LA2JKA LA3BO LA4KL LA7DOA
Station: LA3S

Class: M/S LP
QTH: JO59CC
Operating Time (hrs): 36

   80:  123       1       38     7
   40:  154       1       47     8
   20:  188      14       54    17
   15:  186      18       60    22
   10:   76       5       38    18
------------------------------------
Total:  727      39      237    72  Total Score = 574,548

Club: LA Contest Club

Comments:

I invited some unexperienced contest operators to join in a multi-op effort. My
hope was to show how fun contest operation is, and RTTY is a mode which don't
require the most of operators skills.

The test started up worst possible with severe RFI issues in PCs, and in
addition a heavy aurora the first night. We could barely work into US and JA,
and the qso count was terrible after the first 24 hours.

The conditions improved a lot the second day, and sunday afternoon was good
both on 15 and 10. Great fun with good opening both to NA and SA till after
local sunset.

Modest set-up with K3 as RUN and TS940 as MULT. Antennas were 3 el SteppIR for
20, 15 and 10, with a Windom for 80 and 40 and MULT. A HF9V vertical was
useless due to RFI.

The technical problems made it impossible to operate full time. But I hope my
main goal was met; to show how easy it is to run RTTY contests when the
equipment works as expected.

Thanks for all Qs.

73,
Svein, LA3BO