[3830] TxQP K5YAA(@K5YAA/M) Multi-Op Mobile HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, k5yaa@yahoo.com
Subject: [3830] TxQP K5YAA(@K5YAA/M) Multi-Op Mobile HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2014 22:09:10 +0000
                    Texas QSO Party

Call: K5YAA
Operator(s): K5KJ K5YAA
Station: K5YAA/M

Class: Multi-Op Mobile HP
QTH: 34 Counties
Operating Time (hrs): 18

  160:     0     0      0
   80:    13     0      0
   40:   264    15      0
   20:   961    62      0
   15:   520    28      0
   10:    10     0      0
    6:     0     0      0
    2:     0     0      0
  UHF:     0     0      0
----------------------------
Total:  1768   105      0  Mults = 104  Total Score = 607,956

Club: Oklahoma DX Association

Comments:

The score has 34,500 Bonus points added in for working - only one mobile N4CD in
5 or more counties and also a 1000 points for each of our 34 counties.

I had the pleasure of having Sam, K5KJ operating and driving with
me in this years TQP. Sam and I have a long history of friendship
as I gave him his Novice test back in 1966. We have kept in touch
over the many years since. It was indeed fun to have a good friend with
me. Operating solo in one of these things is fun but much more so
when you have someone with you who wears a pair of headsets while sharing
the driving duties hollering out call signs in the pile.

Another good run! Not as strong as last year's TQP but a good one
nonetheless. No equipment problems - always a good thing! I believe
the bands were not quite as good as last year however 15 meters produced
more Qs than in any party I've been in this past year or so. We did lose
time on both days and even with skipping our run in San Angelina County
on Saturday we never made up our time losses for the day. We finished
Saturday almost begging for QSOs in Leon County. Even on 80 meters for
1/2 an hour only produced 13 QSOs. Things really seemed to come to a
halt 30 minutes before the end of Saturday's closing time. Sunday
started out OK but each county entrance showed us to get behind a few
minutes each time. We missed our Montague County effort finishing up in
Cooke County at the closing. My planning had been pretty spot on for the
past several QSO parties using Streets and Trips. All I can figure is we
were delayed in some of the small towns by red light stops. Of course
getting out of the Metroplex area on Saturday morning was a challenge as
I was driving and it seemed I made a wrong turn or choice several times
before we cleared the area. A full hour was lost at the start but it
seemed we held our own later in the day. Not the case however as we
continued to lose time as the day progressed. I will take a look at my
plan as it really was off schedule pretty badly. We missed I think 4
counties Saturday late.

Sam knows the Metroplex traffic better than me so at out finish on
Sunday in Cooke County he decided to backtrack into Denison. Said there
was a Brahms (Ice cream store type of business primarily) and I had said
"An ice cream would be good to celebrate" so we went back and had us
couple of sundaes while we talked over our performance. Mine was hot fudge,
a good one regardless who makes it. Sam had some Oreo cookies tossed on
top of vanilla ice cream. Very good selections.

Now for the report on who worked us and how we did. 15 meters was quite
good with over 500 QSOs on CW and a number on SSB (moves for those that
asked). Only a couple of times did we go to SSB looking for action as CW
kept us humming through most of the counties. We took a look at 40 fairly
often but usually only got a handful of Texas (one IA and one MO) station
to answer us there. A quick scan of the band usually turned up only one or
two die hard TQP CQers so we generally left fairly quick to go back to 15 or
20 meters. 105 total SSB QSOs 15 of them on 40 SSB! K5LH in McClellan
County was usually around on 40 CW as we heard him well across our entire
route. Even worked a number of Texas stations on 20. Texas is a big state!
K5NA was another Texas station copyable across our route. Sam and I know
K5RX quite well and Jim worked us 7 times from Denton County on Sunday.

DX countries were fewer than even the Arkansas QSO Party but a couple of
operators padded our log with quite good Q counts. SP9LJD had 52 with us
and OM2VL almost 50. Other DX operators with good numbers were DX3DXX and
DK3BN. Thanks gentlemen for your contacts. Countries worked totaled 14
and included DL, F, HA, HB, HC, I, JA, OK, OM, ON, PA, SP, XE and YV. A
G station called us a couple of times but we simply couldn't pull him out
sorry for whoever that was hollerin at us.

Canadian provinces were again in short supply. VE1, VE3 and VE7 were all
we worked. VE7CV had 22 QSOs with us - thanks for another nice contact
count Peter.

US stations with more than 20 QSOs included AK5X, N6MU, WA6KHK, K3TW, KN4Y,
WA3HAE, N3RM, N3RJ, N3KR, KQ3F, W7GF, NT2A, W1END, N1LN, KC3X, K4DJ, WB0PYF,
KI0I, W1DWA, K2DSW, N4PN, K4BAI and a special mention for W9GHX who had 12
and was usually preceeded by WB0PYF Ray who runs that Memorial station.
Some die hard county chasers in the group. Thanks folks for another FB
party. Your Qs mean alot to us mobilers who man the vehicles and keep the
miles clicking off. We did get KS4BO two of his last three needed counties
in Texas by working him on 20 SSB. Glad to hear you Dave and good luck on
finishing up Texas - maybe you did get that last one too.

Chuck and his crew did another fine job getting the state covered. 254
counties are hard to count let alone get some mobile or fixed station to
get on the air. Thanks to NARS for your sponsorship of this years TQP.

Thanks to everyone who followed us along our route. Especially the state
of Pennsylvania who made 170 QSOs of our total count!

73, Sam K5KJ and Jerry K5YAA

Rig: The same Oklahoma Land Rush Mobile (broke in pretty good now) using
a K3, solid state amp, HP hustlers for 10/15 and 20 and a Tarheel on 40/80.