[3830] CQ WW RTTY AB1J SOSB(A)/15 LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, ktfrog007@aol.com
Subject: [3830] CQ WW RTTY AB1J SOSB(A)/15 LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Tue, 30 Sep 2014 20:14:47 +0000
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, RTTY

Call: AB1J
Operator(s): AB1J
Station: AB1J

Class: SOSB(A)/15 LP
QTH: AB1J
Operating Time (hrs): 26

   80:
   40:
   20:
   15:  509      39      75    20
   10:
-----------------------------------
Total:  509      39      75    20  Total Score = 148,606

Club:

Comments:

I got my RTTY start halfway through this contest in 2008.  I came home from work
Saturday evening and finished connecting my RigBlaster Plus.  My rig diddled and
sounded right.  I copied OK and set up a few simple MMTTY macros. I tuned around
and found NX5O CQing, so I called him.  He came right back and I hit a macro.
Apparently he was happy, so I was too.  I had no idea how to log, so I logged
the rest of the contest in my paper log which I converted later to a Cabrillo
log to submit.  As a reward, I won a certificate.  I was hooked.

Fast forward to 2014:  After a slow and melancholy start Friday evening and
Saturday morning, I finally got my mojo back Saturday afternoon.  On Sunday
conditions got even better and all the Sunday afternoon ops gave me a serious
boost.  Thanks!  In the end this was the my best WW-RTTY single band effort
from my home station.

A problem for me is in the evening when the folks out west turn their beams on
Japan and the Far East. They can't hear me off the back and side and I'm not
very valuable to work anyway so there's no incentive.  I get very lonely.

I heard and worked only one JA. And likewise only one KH6 for OC.

I tried running more this time, later in the contest and when things were slow
and had some success but mostly it was Assisted S&P.  After initial
resistance, I've come to like Assistance.   I think the best place for me to
run is at the top end of the active frequency range, which moves up and down
during the day.  It got as high as 21160 kHz.  I tend to get lost in the
downband crowds.

The station performed flawlessly.  It's a good SO1R contest station until you
follow the coax.

Thanks for the Qs.

73,
Ken, AB1J

FT2000  TS940S(skimmer)  WinRadio SDR(panadapter)
N1MM(MMVARI-MMTTY-2TONE)  TrueTTY  RCKskimmer
15m attic dipole
Win8 and XP computers