[3830] CQ WW RTTY W4AAA(KK9A) SOSB/15 HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, john@w4aaa.com
Subject: [3830] CQ WW RTTY W4AAA(KK9A) SOSB/15 HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Thu, 02 Oct 2014 01:57:36 +0000
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, RTTY

Call: W4AAA
Operator(s): KK9A
Station: KK9A

Class: SOSB/15 HP
QTH: NC
Operating Time (hrs): 32
Radios: SO2R

   80:
   40:
   20:
   15: 1936      53      110    37
   10:
------------------------------------
Total: 1936      53      110    37  Total Score = 996,400

Club:

Comments:

I wish this contest was in the winter instead of when the weather outside is so
nice however I had not been on the air from my station since March and at the
last moment I got the urge to operate. I decided to stick with my old MTTY
software instead of upgrading to 2tone, since it was familiar and somewhat
reliable. I am not a RTTY guru and I rarely operate this mode. 2Tone has great
reviews for weak signal decoding and it is on my list of future upgrades. I had
never done single band 15m from this station and I thought it would be fun to
try while we are still near the sunspot peak. The A index was pretty high and I
did not hear much activity when setting up the station on Friday afternoon so I
had some concerns about choosing this category. Somehow 30 seconds before the
contest started the band came alive. I called CQ and was running Japan well
into the night. In the morning, I swung the beams northeast and I had huge
European pileups with a peak 60 minute rate of over 100 contacts. The European
pileups lasted well past their sunset and they made up 57% of my total QSOs.
The station played well until 16:00z on Saturday when stations were calling me
but not responding when I sent them a report.  This happen about 6 times in a
row and I suspected something was wrong on my end. I tuned my second radio to
my transmit frequency and listened to my transmissions. Apparently no matter
what macros I pressed or what letters I typed on the keyboard, I was sending my
CQ message. My run computer screen displayed what I typed and I had no
indication that it did not match what the transceiver was sending. Luckily a
reboot solved the problem and it never occurred again but I lost 15 minutes of
a prime band opening. There was a lot of activity from many different countries
which made this contest a lot of fun. While I did find some multipliers using a
second radio, a surprising number of countries called me. I never expected to
work over 100 countries, thank you very much! Only 19% of my QSOs were with
U.S. stations. With the long skip and high antennas pointing toward DX it was
difficult to work the closer local stations. I am pleased with the score and it
should be a new U.S. record. Thanks for the QSOs. Please QSL via WD9DZV.
73,

John KK9A - W4AAA