[3830] PaQP W3NO/M Multi-Op Mobile HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, johngetz24@gmail.com
Subject: [3830] PaQP W3NO/M Multi-Op Mobile HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Wed, 15 Oct 2014 15:27:27 +0000
                    Pennsylvania QSO Party

Call: W3NO/M
Operator(s): AD8J W3NO
Station: W3NO/M

Class: Multi-Op Mobile HP
QTH: 19 Counties
Operating Time (hrs): 20:15

  160:
   80:
   40:
   20:
   15:
   10:
    6:
    2:
---------------------------------------
Total:  797    610      0         0  Mults = 127  Total Score = 290,808

Club: Allegheny Valley Radio Association

Comments:

We covered 19 of the 21 counties we wanted to.  We were falling behind schedule
so we dropped two counties which we knew were being well covered. We were
having trouble getting anything going on 80 CW on Saturday night so we headed
to the hotel early for additional sleep.  That helped us on Sunday but may have
been a mistake as I now see we had a shot at the multi-mobile record.  If we had
stuck it out and increased the number of CW vrs SSB contacts on Sunday, we
probably would have done it.  The rig was a TS-480 driving a SB-220.  Power was
supplied by a 3.6 KW generator mounted on a trailer hitch platform.  Antennas
were Hamsiticks mounted on a custom roof mag mount.  Yes, we know that
Hamsticks aren't designed for that kind of power and we do attract some
attention with the RF arcing from the tip of the active stick at night. We
normally just ran with the 40 and 20 sticks but could have added the 10 or 15
if required. However, with the rate we were trying to maintain, switching to a
lower rate on 10 or 15 would not have made sense. The vehicle was a 2008 Honda
Accord. Thanks to the bonus stations for calling us 7 times as we didn't want
to take the time for searching and having to break pileups.  Demerits to the
fixed stations that operated in the mobile window.  There were times that we
stayed on CW as we couldn't find a clear frequency, in the SSB mobile window,
to call CQ.  It helped our score but may have kept some SSB only stations from
working us in some counties. QSL's are available from W3NO but please include
an SASE.  Please look for us in NYQP as W2M/M with the same setup.