[3830] CQWW SSB KB1H M/2 HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, W1UJAY@gmail.com
Subject: [3830] CQWW SSB KB1H M/2 HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2014 15:24:38 +0000
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, SSB

Call: KB1H
Operator(s): KB1H W1UJ NB1U K1EBY NR1X K1RAX KB1JDX
Station: KB1H

Class: M/2 HP
QTH: CT
Operating Time (hrs): 48

  160:   18     7        8
   80:  201    19       67
   40:  273    24       86
   20:  713    38      129
   15: 1291    38      132
   10: 1555    31      132
------------------------------

Club: Yankee Clipper Contest Club

Comments:

After working hard the weekend of WAG the KB1H station was barely ready for this
contest. We started knowing we had holes in our operating such as bad
amplifiers, new software (N1MM++) , mostly part time operators.

The crew was KB1H, W1UJ, NB1U, K1EBY, NR1X, K1RAX, KB1JDX.
K1RAX had been here before but moved to New Mexico. He came back for SSB and a
visit with friends. Ken is a big help in SSB which most of us do not like!

KB1JDX, Vinny, is a local ham and this was his first time here. Usually only
contesting during Field Day and also the Vice President of the local club it
was great for him to stop by for a few hours. Vinny did well on 20M which is
not the easy band. Hopefully after a taste of one of the BIG FOUR, Vinny will
return and recruit some more from the local hams. It is always nice to bring in
a new operator and we enjoy tutoring.

Even though I received a new plate choke for the HF Commander and installed the
amp still had a problem. This is our workhorse. It was replaced with a Titan but
eventually that had to be swapped with another Titan. On 20M we had the old
TL-922. It worked flawlessly.

The second night something went wrong with our beverage and also the 80M four
square to the SE. Daylight came and we found one of the beverage poles had
snapped and the beverage was on the ground and also the 4-Sq radials which were
tied off to that pole. The pole had rotted at the ground level.
So before CW we need to fix at least two amps, a beverage, a four square radial
system, and miscellaneous antenna work.

During the contest N1WK basically finished the 40M Moxon that hopefully be
installed before CQWW DX CW.

As usual, the last hour or so we head the middle 15M towards JA and we had a
good run. Also never failing, a few new mults from that heading call in.

Food was plentiful as the XYLs do not let us go hungry. Pies from NR1X XYL were
great! Too much to list.  We had more crock pots going than amplifiers. The 110V
circuits were heavily tested.

A great weekend, lots of fun, and thank you for the QSOs.

73 Dick �" KB1H