[3830] CQWW SSB N4TZ/9 SOAB LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, n4tz@arrl.net
Subject: [3830] CQWW SSB N4TZ/9 SOAB LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2014 19:42:24 +0000

    ADDRESS-POSTALCODE: 47356
       ADDRESS-COUNTRY: USA
                 EMAIL: N4TZ@ARRL.NET

        OPERATING TIME: 38:35:31
            CQ COUNTER: 1078
            RUN/SEARCH: 381/1270 Qs
      UNIQUE CALLSIGNS: 1179

              SOFTWARE: TR4W v.4.246 http://www.tr4w.com

  BAND   Raw QSOs   Valid QSOs   Points Countries     Zones
 160SSB        17           17       29         8         4
  80SSB        52           52      130        28        12
  40SSB       141          139      385        63        20
  20SSB       284          281      773       102        35
  15SSB       322          321      905        97        31
  10SSB       835          827     2406       105        24

 Totals      1651         1637     4628       403       126

    Final Score = 2448212 points.

Recently, I have been thinking a lot about SIZE.

Several of the problems I have had with my station in the
past  couple of years could be reduced if I SUPERSIZED
my station.  For example, if I had a second tower, then
I could both increase the reliability of the total system
(redundancy) as well as increase the number of different
directions I could simultaneously point my antennas for
quick responses to new callers.  Antennas on a second tower
would make it much easier to S&P on my transmitting band
while trying to maintain a run frequency.

However, I am approaching an age where many people are
thinking of DOWNSIZING.  As I get older, it is harder to
erect all the temporary low band antennas (4 square for
80, a pair of 160m vertical wires, and a beverage system).
So, how would I expect to maintain a second tower and
its antenna systems?  Plus, when I reach that age where
I cannot maintain it, how will I remove it for that final
QRT?

Many fellows feel they cannot do the  full 48 hours anymore,
so they want to downsize into a 24 hour  category.  But,
it seems, many want a full luxury downsize; you know,
a $70,000 midget Mercedes instead of a $15,000 Kia.  Sort
of like the 'Tribander and wires' category created to
represent the 'average' ham, but with competitors using
$5,000 Seppir and a $50,000 Luso crankup tower.

I was wrestling with these thoughts while repairing problems
with some of my antennas.  I had to repair the coax to
my big 40 meter antenna, which I repaired just this past
season.  I found that an Amphenol crimp-on PL259 was part
of the problem (in the disassembly of the matching system
at the top of the tower, the crimp-on pulled off of the
slightly undersized 'house brand' of RG213 which I purchased
from a major ham radio retailer a few years back.  The
only replacement on hand this time was some 40 year old
Times RG214 so 150 feet of very stiff  coax was run up the
tower to the feedpoint of the yagi.  Back in operation, but
a minimum SWR of 2:1 without the former feed system.
I also installed a second motor on my TIC-ring on the lower
20/40 antenna which has slipped direction far too often.
So far, so good.  I turned the antenna many times this
weekend and Monday morning it is still pointing the
direction the control box indicates.

And of course, there was the operating event itself.
I was disappointed in the apparent low level of low band
activity.  Both 2011 and 2013 (the peak sunspont years of
this cycle) saw much better low band participation.
My 160 and 80 band scores have been highly competitive
in past years, so I was very discouraged after the first
night.  Maybe this is another example of downsizing.
Many of the multi-multi stations (especially traveling
stations) may have downsized to mult-two or multi-single
due to the difficulty of staffing the larger stations
which tend to be beacons of activity on the bands not
favored by the propagation gods.

The biggest problem here was an unidentified QRM
source on 10 meters.  It sounded like some of the new
digital modes one hears on the bands (bloops, bleeps,
and zipping sounds).   On Saturday morning, I heard it
when I went to 10 at 1242 z (8:42 am local) and
it  continued until at least 1346z.  It was about S9
and covered up many of the louder signals on the band.
I made notes later on as it continued to bother me
while S&P up the band.  It seemed loudest around
28600 and spread out at least 100 kHz in each direction.
I didn't make any notes about it after 1346z on Saturday.
On Sunday, it reappeared, aound 1430z peaking again
around 28600 kHz and again spreading out at least
100 kHz.   While I tried to S&P through it on
Saturday, on Sunday I merely jotted down its
presence and went way up the band (29MHz) and
tried to continue on my merry way.  Like many,
my antennas' SWR is pretty high above 29MHz, so
some more of my 100 watts is lost to excess SWR
induced loss in 500 feet of cable plus the loss
of the autotuner in the rig, which is normally
not in the signal path.

                              2014 CQ-WW-SSB N4TZ
                                 Continent List

                    160    80    40    20    15    10   ALL
                    ---   ---   ---   ---   ---   ---   ---
      USA calls =     3     1     1     4     3     8    20
   Canada calls =     7    15    12    17    17    18    86
       NA calls =     6     8    17    41    32    37   141
       SA calls =     1     5     7    55    48    63   179
     Euro calls =     0    18    85   125   163   641  1032
  African calls =     0     4     5     6    12    16    43
    Asian calls =     0     0     3    20     6    10    39
    Japan calls =     0     0     4     5    29    32    70
    Ocean calls =     0     1     7    11    12    10    41

    Total calls =    17    52   141   284   322   835  1651

The total (ALL) column of the continent list looks almost
the same as last years, even though the total contacts on
160, 80 and 40 were well down from last year.  More of a
surprise was that the European  totals here were down on
every band except 10, while the other parts of the world
were holding generally steady on other bands.