[3830] CQWW SSB KG1E SOAB(A) HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, alexjoz2@comcast.net
Subject: [3830] CQWW SSB KG1E SOAB(A) HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2014 09:22:43 +0000
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, SSB

Call: KG1E
Operator(s): KG1E
Station: KG1E

Class: SOAB(A) HP
QTH: MA
Operating Time (hrs): 36

  160:    2     1        2
   80:   38    10       23
   40:  160    14       63
   20:  406    37      111
   15:  469    34      112
   10: 1747    35      121
------------------------------

Club: Yankee Clipper Contest Club

Comments:

Last minute decision was made to try SOAB (A) HP category this year. The really
high solar flux before the contest led us to believe that 10 meters would be
very good this year with the lower bands suffering from increased
absorption.Everything seemed to be working well at the start, but
various gremlins appeared along the way to throw a wrench in the works.The
rotator indicator stopped working intermittently and the high winds of the
storm just before the contest moved the indicator 45 degrees off the true
heading. The 80 & 160 antennas shorted out somehow after a few hours of the

first night.The computer kept getting disconnected from the network and lost
all our spots.Lost the audio from the microphone for a while.
Tough to find a run frequency on 15 or 20 meters due to high activity and lots
of splatter from numerous DX stations. Almost all contacts on 15M and 20M were
S&P.More run stations seemed to be identifying themselves this year.
10 Meters was a lot of fun and was open to just about everywhere in the world
at times and was open well past nightfall. Heard stations running from 28.300
to at least 29.275 MHZ. With the extra elbow room on 10 there were few
frequency fights and very little splatter making it easier to hear weak
signals.
Lots of JA's heard here on 10 with big signals and quite a few more on 15 and
20. On 10 had a 190 hour on Saturday morning followed by a 160 hour.Sunday
morning was unbelievable with a full 220 hour, then a 190 hour and 140. After
that we S&P'd for about 65/hour the rest of the way.

Of course there's lots of room for improvement on this end.More time in the
chair and better tower, antenna, and station preparation would have helped.Lots
of work to be done next year.

Thanks go out to our fellow contesters for a great weekend.

TS 930S Alpha 76    Force 12 C3   40 80 160 Inv Vees