[3830] CQWW SSB P3F(M0DXR) SOAB HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] CQWW SSB P3F(M0DXR) SOAB HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2014 09:12:53 +0000
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, SSB

Call: P3F
Operator(s): M0DXR
Station: 5B4AGN

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: Paphos
Operating Time (hrs): 47.2
Radios: SO2R

  160:   67     7       35
   80:  297    10       61
   40: 1420    18       86
   20: 1448    30       98
   15: 1606    34      103
   10: 2402    29      100
------------------------------

Club: Chiltern DX Club

Comments:

Unlimited thanks to Bob 5B4AGN and XYL Karen for their first class hospitality
during the contest. I was transported to and from Paphos airport and kept fed
during my stay. Hosts like this allow me to enjoy contesting, which would not
be possible otherwise.

The contest for me started about a week before the actual event, checking
propagation and setting out a strately. On Monday the SFI shot up to an amazing
level well above 200, I couldn't believe it! I was hoping for a low K index as
the week progressed, and was rewarded...

Flew to Paphos from Stansted on Thursday evening, landing at 23:40 and promptly
collected by Bob and Karen. Got a good nights sleep and in the morning got
things set up. We struggled to get things waling between the MK2R and K3s
through Wintest, so settled for Writelog which was already configured at Bob's
station. Everything worked great. SO2R was perfect.

Made some QSOs as 5B/M0DXR and conditions proved to be superb on 10 and 15.
Some enormous signals!

In the evening we met up with lots of local 5B4's at a local Taverna, organised
by Alan 5B4AHJ (aka C44C). What a great bunch of people! Got back to Bob's about
10pm for a sleep until 2:30am local.

Started at 3am local on 40m with some lovely rate to EU. After about an hour
went split to the USA, which worked very well. Bob has installed a 2 element
Moxon for 40m, which worked very well indeed.

Did hardly anything on 80 and 160 on the first night. Went to 20m in the
morning when I had my best hour. 15 and 10 followed shortly after.

On Saturday evening Bob and Karen went out and I was greeted with a mighty
thunderstorm. I could tell it was coming by the crashes on the radios. It got
so close and forced me to go QRT for 40 mins. I have a fobia of thunderstorms
(a big girl I know!) and I wasn't impressed when the small tower got a direct
strike and took out the rotator (fortunately nothing else was damaged from what
we could tell). Bob managed to fix the antenna on EU/USA in the morning so it
was usable. Still had the main antenna (C31XR) fully rotatable.

Conditions were very good. One thing I noticed was the operating standards
generally seemed to be much slicker than ever before. Very quick, clear and
precise operating. I wonder if anyone else found this...

Managed to stay awake for the full duration and except the storm was operating
for the full duration.

My biggest mistake - not working enough mults. I for sure need to get more
practice at SO2R. I was working stuff on the 2nd radio and passing mults around
the bands, but simply didn't work enough. When calling CQ on the main radio, I
should have been continually searching on the 2nd radio. There were times when
I was a bit lazy with this.

Anyhow, I'm very pleased with the score and thoroughly enjoyed it. Thanks all
for the QSOs and looking forward to CW where I will be active from the station
of G0DWV, probably doing single band 20m.

73!
Mark Haynes, M0DXR