[3830] SS CW WH7AA(N2NL) SO Unlimited HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] SS CW WH7AA(N2NL) SO Unlimited HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 03 Nov 2014 19:29:11 +0000
                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, CW

Call: WH7AA
Operator(s): N2NL
Station: N2NL

Class: SO Unlimited HP
QTH: Hawaii
Operating Time (hrs): 5

------------
  160:
   80:
   40:
   20:
   15:
   10:
------------

Club: Florida Contest Group

Comments:

WH7AA wins the award for the worst call I have ever used in a contest.  This
call is also known as WS7AA, W7AA, W5ZAA, W6AA, WA7AA, WH6AA, and sometimes
WS6AA.  I guess it serves me right to ask for call sign advice from someone who
uses NN1N.  Curses to WA7AA who I sometimes found calling the same guy I was,
and beat me every single time.

I started out unassisted but decided to turn on packet and chase the sweep
after about 15 minutes of calling CQ without a response.  I suppose the reason
for this was a mix of guys who didn't know if my call was WH7AA or one of the
many derivatives, and the fact that I am really weak.

I live in an antenna restricted community on an Air Force base so my antenna is
a 20m vertical dipole taped to a 12m Spiderpole, fed with ladder line.  It is
decent on 20m but that seems to be about it.  Kudos to those of you who heard
me calling on 40m.  I am missing my last couple QTHs which were on Navy owned
(and not DOD owned but commercially managed) housing which were much more
accepting toward antennas.

My attempts at the sweep were thwarted by NE and NL.  NL (Ironic, isn't it) has
been my nemesis ever since moving out to the Pacific, first from Guam and now
apparently Hawaii, at no fault to the VO1s.  They always were on the higher
rate bands which was one-band too low for me out here in KH6, and I simply
couldn't hear them with my antenna which is nicknamed ####enna.  Many thanks to
VY1EI for calling in - and doing his best to give out NT while avoiding the
packet pileup chaos.

All this aside, being QRV with a poor antenna is still better than not being
QRV at all.  I suppose WH7AA will now make it into the next Super Check Partial
database which may help a little with call recognition looking ahead.

73, Dave KH6/N2NL aka WH7AA (and variations of)