[3830] SS CW W8FN Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, w8fn@tx.rr.com
Subject: [3830] SS CW W8FN Single Op LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Tue, 04 Nov 2014 01:16:04 +0000
                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, CW

Call: W8FN
Operator(s): W8FN
Station: W8FN

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: NTX
Operating Time (hrs): 23.5
Radios: SO2R

------------
  160:
   80:   49
   40:  199
   20:  294
   15:  216
   10:  162
------------

Club: DFW Contest Group

Comments:

This year I worked really hard getting the station ready, with some hardware
improvements and a new 10-15-20 dipole for the 2nd radio on the high bands. All
the preparation paid off, as I had ZERO hardware problems. But... Even with
extensive prior testing with N1MM+ when I first went to the second radio for
SO2R I discovered the audio configuration for the microHAM MK2R+ had somehow
been corrupted. It did all kinds of weird things, none of them correct. As a
result I was essentially without the 2nd radio for the first part of the
contest. On Sunday afternoon I finally took a half hour off time to try to fix
the problem and did manage to come up with a work-around that let me use true
SO2R for the rest of the contest with a bit more button pushing than normal.
The lack of the 2nd radio undoubtedly cost me quite a few QSOs in the busiest
part of the event. I had set my sights on the elusive 1K QSOs, but it was just
not to be. Nor was the sweep. Like many, I never heard the NT.

Conditions seemed to be pretty good on all bands, as the band-to-band QSO
balance reflects. The high band dipole turned out to be a great thing to have,
even with a single radio. I turned the SteppIR to a 70° heading and put it in
Bidirectional mode at the beginning and never turned it once. The dipole runs
NE-SW and gave me good coverage where the SteppIR pattern has nulls. It was
about 20dB stronger to the Pacific NW and the SE.

Even though I was whup-dog tired at the end and suffering from intermittent
sinus trouble throughout the contest. I still had a good time. Thanks to all
for the QSOs. Next year I'll do 1K for sure!

73...
Randy, W8FN