[3830] SS SSB K7XC SO Unlimited LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, k7xc_tx@yahoo.com
Subject: [3830] SS SSB K7XC SO Unlimited LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2014 03:36:59 +0000
                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, SSB

Call: K7XC
Operator(s): K7XC
Station: K7XC

Class: SO Unlimited LP
QTH: EM12ur - Terrell TX
Operating Time (hrs): 14

------------
  160:    0
   80:    4
   40:  111
   20:   99
   15:    3
   10:  223
------------

Club: DFW Contest Group

Comments:

SWEEP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
WOW... Originally planned to operate from the awesome station of
WA5FWC but it wasnt available. So this became a field day style
operation based out of my work QTH. I dug out my poor, rotting, tower
trailer and cobbled together some simple antennas to get on the air.
First was a rotatable dipole on 10M (That didnt rotate) at the top at
30', then I rigged up a rope and pully and hoisted up a "Shorty
Forty" loaded dipole on 40M at 28', then out of a bunch random
aluminum I crafted together a 1/'4 wave 20M vertical and clamped it to
the winch post on the front of the tower trailer, with 3 elevated
radials about 5 ft high. It took some time to get it all tuned up, all
while the overcast Texas sky kept misting non stop making the 38
degrees feel very colder. Getting on the air only 9 min late was a
surprise as I am usually much later these days. 10M was hot ! I was
able to run a pile up using only 50W from an ailing IC-746. Later I
borrowed my buddies  IC-706mkIIg which runs 100W out! OH WOW im now
using HIGH POWER! Over the weekend I was presented with all kinds of
antenna, operating, weather, propagation, and equipment challenges...
I just kept slowly ploding along until eventiually I solved all the
issues. From North TX those simple antennas seemed to work amazingly!
well I was able to hold a frequency several times and run rate for
quite a while on any of the 3 bands. All in all it was a great event
testing me on many levels. 73s from North Texas de Tim - K7XC - EM12ur