[3830] SS SSB N8II Single Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, n8ii@aol.com
Subject: [3830] SS SSB N8II Single Op HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Wed, 19 Nov 2014 16:04:11 +0000
                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, SSB

Call: N8II
Operator(s): N8II
Station: N8II

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: WV
Operating Time (hrs): `8.5

------------
  160:    0
   80:   66
   40:  105
   20:  159
   15:  239
   10:   77
------------

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

A friend wanted to have us over for dinner Saturday, so there went any serious
SS effort out the window. Judging by the top scores and my experience, it looks
like
Sunday would have been pretty slow had I operated Saturday. Sunday conditions
were in general too good with very short skip on 20 (as close as EPA and NJ).
15 was fabulous working as close as IN, SC, GA as well as backscatter signals
strong enough from the east coast to copy easily in many cases until late
afternoon. So, activity was diluted between 10, 15, and 20 for much of the day.
My 5 el yagi on 20 at 90 ft was obviously too high for the conditions with
signals from the west often just barely louder than a 2 el yagi pointed south,
but GA and AL were strangely louder on the 5 el at a heading of 260 degrees
(true heading about 200-220).
   The formula for piling up Q's was pretty simple, run a band until about 3
CQ's in a row yielded no reply, then move on to the next band higher. Rates on
Sunday AM were well over 100, but by late afternoon into early evening, no band
was runable except for very short bursts.
I only looked for Q's/mults S&P when the runs dried up and still managed to
work them all except NT and VI (noticed no big HP scores from VI on 3830). 15
cleaned up a few of the missing late afternoon thru about 45 minutes minutes
past sunset finding ONN, MB (poached), and AK (right at the upper end of
activity, heard 3 within 3 minutes, worked 2). All day long I heard very few
stations from western Canada and no AK/NT until late on 15.
  Thanks for the Q's and waiting in line a times. A few hints to the newbies.
Please do not repeat info unless a fill is requested, much time was wasted
listening to "Number 23, 23, Alpha, Alpha...". And if more than two
fills of data are needed, just ask for all again. For me running stations is
always easier than S&P, but I give up when running becomes unproductive.

73, Jeff