[3830] CQWW CW W4PK SOSB(A)/80 HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, w4pk@arrl.net
Subject: [3830] CQWW CW W4PK SOSB(A)/80 HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 01 Dec 2014 02:47:28 +0000
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: W4PK
Operator(s): W4PK
Station: W4PK

Class: SOSB(A)/80 HP
QTH: VA
Operating Time (hrs): 11:07

  160:    1     1        1
   80:  293    25       77
   40:
   20:
   15:
   10:
------------------------------

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

Again I elected to do single-band 80M this year.  This is the first time I used
the new N1MM+ software and I spent a lot of time getting familiar with it. It
has some features that I really like!  However, a couple of stations were
working split and when I put my IC7800 into split mode the program did weird
things.  This was with it set up for SO2R operation with the other radio being
a K3, but not being used for this contest.

I did try running a few times but this cw-challenged operator is more
comfortable with just searching and pouncing at my leisure, and probably 75% of
my qso's were made this way.  I also used the telnet cw-spotting feature but a
LOT of the spots had errors in the calls.   Also, I did note that every few
minutes there was a broad-band signal that went "BRAP-BRAP-BRAP" that
as far as I could tell occupied the entire 80M cw band.

I made one contact on 160M, and it was with 4L5O, Georgia.  This is a new
country on 160M for me, being #278.  He was on Friday night with a pretty
decent signal but a couple of gentlemen from the U.S. who should have known
better kept tail-ending each other.  I could tell that 4L5O was coming back to
someone but this went on for about an hour, and I just listened until it was
sunrise at his location. Saturday night he was mostly in and out of the noise
but I did manage to connect with him on one of his peaks.

Propagation this year was just so-so, with the paths to the Far East being
almost non-existent.  I only managed two "iffy" contacts, one being
with a station in Japan and the other in Asiatic Russia.