[3830] CQWW CW NQ4I M/2 HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, rick@nq4i.com
Subject: [3830] CQWW CW NQ4I M/2 HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 01 Dec 2014 12:01:58 +0000
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: NQ4I
Operator(s): NQ4I VE3CX VE7ZO W4IX KM4HI N4XL
Station: NQ4I

Class: M/2 HP
QTH: Griffin, Ga
Operating Time (hrs): 48

  160:   57    14       36
   80:  510    29      110
   40: 2000    40      140
   20: 1670    39      149
   15: 1838    38      153
   10: 1450    38      155
------------------------------

Club: South East Contest Club

Comments:

We had planned to a M-M with a small crew, but some operators had to cancel, and
we dropped back to M-2....Strategy for M2 is interesting...8 band changes per
hour per station sounded like we could make lots of extra contacts and still
run...not so! We were so busy on the two run band that we hardly used any band
changes at all!
Some Highlights:
1. New 4th Call area record
2. DXCC on 40m in 3 hours and 21 minutes!
3. 5 Band DXCC in under 24 hours!
4. All 40 zones on 40m in 13 hours and 31 minutes!

Watching and listening to VE7ZO and N4XL interleave qso's on 40m is like
listening to a really great Symphony perform. They make it look easy and
seamless!

Crew Canada was of course at the NQ4I station...Tom VE3CX travelled from
Thunder Bay, Ont to be with us once again...Tom had a great time and really
enjoyed the 70 degree weather in Georgia...quite a change from minus 20 degrees
Centigrade.

We had only one equipment failure...the Alpha 87A on the 10 meter RUN station
had a cooling fail and seize and we pulled the amp from 160m RUN to finish the
contest.

It was pointed out to me that we managed to score 50% of K3LR's and W3LPL's
total score with only 2 transmitters!

My Congratulations to Craig K9CT for a well run race, and especially for
posting his scores for all to see....using the Russian site is really a lot of
fun for the whole team. We were constantly checking the hourly charting
feature.

It is apparent that M2 requires some changes in strategy. Unlike single or MS,
M2 should not start on the highest bands, but start on the bands that will
attain the highest rates....we started on 20m and 40m, and it really worked
well for us...it was hardest to know when to go to 80m and 160m, when those
other bands were so productive!

I want to thank all the operators who made the journey to operate at NQ4I
during the Thanksgiving holiday. Time with family is important. We had
operators travel from Canada, South Carolina, and central Florida.

KM4HI had told us in years previous that he just wasn't a cw op. After strong-
arming him in the CQWW SSB contest, he felt compelled to join us. Let me tell
you that he is now a cw operator. Jim made the transition and is now a
worthwhile MULT operator. Good Job!

The conditions were possibly some of the best we have seen in a long time. All
the bands were exceptionally quiet and signal levels were really good both day
and night.

I want to thank all for the qso's and the wonderful time we had this weekend.
As always qsl via LOTW only please. The NQ4I station will miss the ARRL CW and
SSB contests due to work commitments. But we expect to be full bore in CQWPX
SSB and CW. 73 to all.

de Rick NQ4I