[3830] CQWW CW VE3AAQ(@VE3FU) SOSB/40 HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, vo1au@rac.ca
Subject: [3830] CQWW CW VE3AAQ(@VE3FU) SOSB/40 HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 01 Dec 2014 12:53:33 +0000
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: VE3AAQ
Operator(s): VE3AAQ
Station: VE3FU

Class: SOSB/40 HP
QTH: Kemptville, Ontario
Operating Time (hrs): 42

  160:
   80:
   40: 2265    37      120
   20:
   15:
   10:
------------------------------
Total: 2265    37      120  Total Score = 928,696

Club: Contest Club Ontario

Comments:

To Chris VE3FU, his wife Debbie and their kids Thomas and Theresa: thank you for
letting me inhabit your basement for the weekend.

Chris' station really played well, and this is the second consecutive Canadian
40m HP SOSB record made from VE3FU.  His 2el yagi at 70ft (23m) and four-square
make a great combination.

Propagation was excellent throughout the contest.  The most shocking QSO for me
was with RI1ANT via long path, several hours after sunrise on Sunday morning.  I
was amazed that 7O2A could pull me through an undisciplined simplex European
pileup near the end of the contest.  I was over the moon when VP8NO called me
for my 120th country, and became the CW equivalent of tongue-tied any my paddle
flew apart.

I had huge computer problems:  I kept getting 'run-time errors.' I rebooted
dozens of times, and the darned PC froze hundreds of times.  At times I thought
it was RF getting into the PC, and at others, I couldn't correlate it to
anything.  I was far too deep into what I was doing to change to a different
logging system, so I just grit my teeth and carried on.  With a more reliable
logging system, I could have made at least 200 more QSOs, and I would have
broken 1 million points.

Rig: FTdx-5000
Amp: Homebrew 8877
Antennas: 2el yagi up 70ft, four-square vertical array, beverage rx antenna

This was a great experience.  Again, thanks to Chris, Debbie, Thomas and
Theresa for their hospitality.

I am extremely grateful for the support and encouragement of my wife, Melanie.
She makes everything great.