[3830] CQWW CW VE7XF SOAB(A) HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] CQWW CW VE7XF SOAB(A) HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Tue, 02 Dec 2014 02:23:08 +0000
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: VE7XF
Operator(s): VE7XF
Station: VE7XF

Class: SOAB(A) HP
QTH: near Vancouver
Operating Time (hrs): 30

  160:    5     5        5
   80:   26    11       10
   40:  180    34       85
   20:  235    38      111
   15:  253    34      116
   10:  198    31       97
------------------------------
Total:  897   153      424  Total Score = 1,413,073

Club: Orca DX and Contest Club

Comments:

I haven't had so much fun in a long time. Because of my compromised 80 and 160
noise situation, I knew I wouldn't be a contender, score-wise, so decided to go
for the maximum number of mults. 100% S&P. Friday night and Saturday were
great, with lots of 10m action when the band finally opened after 1500z. I'm
sure I wore out the Steppir and the bandswitch on the amp changing bands as the
mults showed up on N1MM. Saturday night was good too, as long as the mults
lasted. Sunday morning showed some promise, with a 90 degree offset to EU on
10m, but the band faded away as the aurora took over. The rest of the day was
spent mostly on 15m and down, with some suprising mults on 40m in the early
part of Sunday. I managed to work 39 zones overall, missing only zone 34.
I'm especially pleased with my 40m results - not bad for only a rotary dipole.

My apologies to other VEs, but I only called if I needed the mult. They were
all nice enough to work me.

I discovered that my computer clock was running fast, picking up a couple of
minutes over 8 hours or so - I hope I don't get disqualified for time errors.

I have the same complaint about identifying as VE9AA, but looking at the
cluster didn't solve many mysteries, as the non-IDers were not often spotted.
I'd be happy to have them disqualified - any volunteers for a posse?

Worse were the 'cluster clickers', who all called on the same frequency,
resulting in a barely-modulated constant tone that was impossible to read in
most instances. Won't they ever learn?

Even worse still were the pushers and shovers, who called incessantly,
regardless of whom the DX was calling. I was surprised at the calls of some of
the worst offenders - well known guys who disregard the DX/Contest rules of
conduct, in spite of purporting to support them. A pox on all their antennas!
Didn't their mothers ever teach them any manners?

Now to re-organize my 160m antenna yet again, hoping to snare some eastern
mults in the RACWIN, or maybe even some new DX over the winter.

K3, AL-1200, Steppir, dipoles, N1MM Classic.

Ralph, VE7XF