[3830] CQWW CW W6PH SOAB(A) HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, w6ph@aol.com
Subject: [3830] CQWW CW W6PH SOAB(A) HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Tue, 02 Dec 2014 03:26:41 +0000
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: W6PH
Operator(s): W6PH
Station: W6PH

Class: SOAB(A) HP
QTH: Lone Pine CA
Operating Time (hrs): 39+15

  160:   18     9       12
   80:   80    21       45
   40:  449    85      114
   20:  370    38      111
   15:  669    36      121
   10:  485    31      108
------------------------------

Club: Yankee Clipper Contest Club

Comments:

Equipment:  K3 AL1200  Win-Test
Antennas: (All temporary FD style)
160 - Loaded 1/4 wave sloper below 3L 20m yagi
80 -  1/4 wave sloper below 40-2CD
40 -  40-2CD at 60 feet (AB-577 nr 1)
20 -  3L yagi at 60 feet (AB-577 nr 2)
15 -  5L yagi at 60 feet (AB-577 nr 3)
10 -  5L yagi at 50 feet (AB-577 nr 4)

I spent the week before raising and testing all the antennas.  I have been
doing this for a number of years so it is very routine.  They all came down
today (Monday).  I decided to try assisted for the first time in at least 20
years.  I believe it provided about a 10 to 15 per cent increase in
multipliers.  No pointing and clicking, just information that was on the band
and giving me call signs of stations that weren't signing frequently.

The conditions were absolutely outstanding.  But 80m sounded more like 160
meters with weaker signals than I remember.  I only worked a handful of
Europeans there.  I think that 10 meters was not as good on Sunday as it was on
Saturday.  My strategy was to take as much advantage of 10 meters early which I
did on Saturday.  That turned out to be worthwhile.  Fifteen meters was just
wonderful.  Lots of good runs.  Forty meters was awesome and I could work
anything I heard.  Reflecting on the numbers on 40 meters shows that there are
about 13 hours of darkness which is good for the low bands.  Typically much
more time is spent on 40m that on 80 or 160.  On the other hand, 11 hours of
daylight is spent among three bands.  I suspect that there is more time spent
on 40m than any other band because of this.

It is always tough to decide whether to run or S&P.  When tons of stations
are calling you but none are new mults, you wonder if you are missing some good
mults.  I guess that is the DXing within us.

There were a few goofs but nothing debilitating.  Basically everything worked
well.  My AL-1200 is serial number 15 and still chugs along well with the
original tube.

This contest is the big one for the year.  I spend a lot of time preparing for
it.  It never lets me down.  This year is a new record for my station at this
location and I think that a lot people are saying the same thing.  It was a
fantastic run.

I'll see everyone again from VP9/W6PH for the ARRL DX Contests.  It will be my
fifteenth consecutive year of doing it.

73, Kurt W6PH