[3830] CQWW CW N8II SOAB Classic HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, n8ii@aol.com
Subject: [3830] CQWW CW N8II SOAB Classic HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Wed, 03 Dec 2014 20:08:32 +0000
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: N8II
Operator(s): N8II
Station: N8II

Class: SOAB Classic HP
QTH: WV
Operating Time (hrs): 24

  160:   21     8       18
   80:   75    13       38
   40:  178    20       69
   20:  406    32       83
   15:  814    31       94
   10:  953    30       92
------------------------------

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

Congratulations to fellow PVRC'ers N4AF and K3ZM for great scores. It looks like
they followed a similar run 'em strategy, but more successfully. I am pleased to
be as close as I was considering my lack of decent low band antennas. Saturday
12-20Z and Sunday 12-16Z were pretty amazing into EU. There were times when
almost no EU station was weak and in the noise. I ran 10 low in the band
Saturday and kept getting stations trying to take the frequency frequently when
I struggling to copy a call and pausing more than a few seconds. Oh the Russians
and Ukrainians and Poles, they love this contest! With the great conditions, it
was possible to work them longer and better than usual. The worst surprise was
a very short opening to JA on 10 closing by 2310, only logging 24 of them on
that band, but making up for it with 113 on 15. QSO totals for the biggest
countries were: DL 335, UA 214, JA 157, OK 112 (didn't seem like that many), UR
109, I 104, SP 102, G 95, PA 69, EA 65, F 60, HA 57, and SM 57. Even as good as
conditions were, propagation is pretty limited to central and western Asia at
this time of year. Siberian totals were zone 17 19 Q's, 18 4 Q's (none on 15 or
10), and 19 11 Q's. I didn't work zone 17 on 10 until Sunday. All QSO's on 160
were in a single pass thru the band at 02Z Sunday, the first station heard was
OK, and it was quite a surprise to tune up the band and easily get thru to most
stations only missing IB9T and 9Y4.
The last 10 rate meter hit 330/hr around 1807Z Saturday on 15, best 10 minutes
was 204/hr and hour 172/hr. To get above 250/hr or so, everything has to work
perfectly, no copying errors, loud signals, and a steady stream of callers. The
biggest issue was too many stations calling zero beat and near the same
strength. You have to operate, not just pounce. The first thing W3LPL himself
does when chasing spots is to transmit slightly off zero beat to stand out in
the pile up.

I did a pretty good job running, not so great chasing mults and optimizing off
times. Many thanks to those who patiently waited to get the pile ups calling me
and for the rare ones who called me using RBN notably P33W and 4O3A. The only
really rare DX worked was VU4 on 20 with virtually no one calling him who was
about S6 here around 0130Z Sunday. In general the gut wrenching pile ups were
very sparse; most were very easy to crack. The SFI this year may have been the
highest of this cycle, what a pleasant surprise! Hopefully we will get lucky
again next year.

73, Jeff