[3830] CQWW CW 9Y4/VE3EY SOAB HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, nick.lekic@gmail.com
Subject: [3830] CQWW CW 9Y4/VE3EY SOAB HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Thu, 04 Dec 2014 01:26:00 +0000
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: 9Y4/VE3EY
Operator(s): VE3EY
Station: 9Y4/VE3EY

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: Trinidad
Operating Time (hrs): 39.5

  160:  232    11       35
   80:  430    19       57
   40:  577    20       64
   20: 1188    30       91
   15: 1587    30       98
   10: 1772    28       91
------------------------------

Club: Contest Club Ontario

Comments:

I decided to return back to 9Y for this year's CQ WW CW contest with the
intention of repeating the minimalist's effort from 2013. This time, however,
all the fun was spoiled with power outages and power line noise. On 2nd day
alone I lost power for almost 6 hours.  By the time I got back on the air, I
was some 600 QSOs behind as compared to same point in time from last year.  I
had no such hydro or power line noise problems last year. Too bad given the
fact that band conditions were exceptional inside the theater.

I flew to 9Y alone carrying aloft 170lb of stuff. Some may wonder why do I
subject myself to such torture but I guess it all stems from my own impression
that operating with the vertical and small amp from low latitudes nearly equals
the feeling of using stacked yagis up north. Being a rare multiplier of course
helped too.

The equipment remained mostly the same.  I used K3 + KPA500.  For 160 and 80 I
used 18 meter tall Spiderpole "T" vertical which I could switch
remotely from the shack.  For 40 meters and up I had a SteppIR BigIR vertical.
Both antennas were erected some 50 feet from the sea line and 150 feet away from
the hotel room.   I fed each antenna with a separate 150 ft length of coax.
LMR-240 was used for low band vertical and LMR-400 for BigIR.  In an attempt to
shave off some weight, LC network unit for 160/80 was completely rebuilt from
scratch by Dragan, VE3FF by using lighter vacuum cap and roller inductor.

Thanks for the QSOs and great pileups.  I posted some pictures from the setup
on QRZ.com page

http://qrz.com/db/VE3EY