[3830] CQWW CW VU4KV M/M HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] CQWW CW VU4KV M/M HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Fri, 05 Dec 2014 19:42:57 +0000
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: VU4KV
Operator(s): VU2BGS VU2CDP VU2PTT
Station: VU4KV

Class: M/M HP
QTH: Neil island NK61mu
Operating Time (hrs): 30

  160:    0     0        0
   80:    0     0        0
   40:  631    28       73
   20:  796    32       91
   15: 1272    31       95
   10:  884    28       86
------------------------------

Club: VU Contest Group

Comments:

Radios - K3 + KPA-500, TS590S + KPA-500, TS-480 + AL-80B
Antennas - 20-15-10m 2 el monoband SVDAs on the beach, 40m vire vertical
Log - N1MMLogger Plus on a WiFi network - worked perfectly :)

Well, that was fun! It was great to end the expedition on a high
that only CQWW CW can provide and we are grateful to everyone who
called us. Thank you for all the QSOs and points.

There was some indecision during the planning stages of the
expedition about doing the contest and the idea was bounced within
the team. The thought of being  nice juicy double mult was too good
to resist and the contest was exactly at the end of the operation,
so it was a go as there were only 3 CW ops remaining on the island.
It was decided inthe spirit of the main expedition that we will
run as much as possible and not think about any records whatsoever.
The idea being to provide as many QSOs as possible to all and
upping the fun quotient in the process. This is refelcted in 3830
comments where stations were suprised to hear VU4KV call them on
their CQ. The few times we scanned the band for multipliers, we
called every station we heard CQ-ing.

Three stations were pressed into service with VDAs for the higher
bands and a wire vertical hung form a tall tree on the beach for
40m. The contest starts at 05:30 local but for larger part of
Saturday we were without power, an issue that had plagued us right
through the expedition. Even though we had a backup generator,
this time the cabling in the junction box had gone bad and it took
better part of the day for the local electrician to fix it. That
meant, a good 800-1000 Qs were lost on the first day especially on
10m. But once the contest really started for us 12 hours late, it
was run run run. 10m packed up early and except for a few
Caribbean mults, not much else was earned there. 15m showed
promise as it stayed open late. Local sunset was around 5pm and
we were working stations right upto 11pm even though the rates
were low. 20m was so-so given that the two higher bands were
performing better. 40m in this part of the world is purely a night
time band and only holds up for a short time after sunrise.

>From VU4, one can run JAs non-stop any time of the day and the
contest was no different. They are loud all the time and often
blank out EUs completely. Many times the hordes would not have
patience and would send their calls repeatedly without listening
to who was being worked. If you do not find yourself in the
VU4KV contest log, please forgive us. You may think you worked us,
but we were often running a big pileup with some inconsiderate
callers.

That aside, it was fun to chase stations on Sunday. One would
typically expect an expedition to run endlessly and only
sporadically look for mults. But our goal was to have fun and we
could tell lots of stations were happy to have been called by us.
In the end we managed over 3.6k QSOs and close to 4M pts. This
was not a serious contest operation, but a way to sign off our
expedition on a positive note giving out VU4 to as maany
contesters andothers as we could. And we are happy we achieved
our objective. Maybe we will plan a serious contest operation from
this entity and then give the bigger M/M stations a run for their
position ;-)

Thanks for all the QSOs and 73 de VU2BGS, VU2CDP, VU2PTT.