[3830] ARRL 160 K9GY Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, k9gy@comcast.net
Subject: [3830] ARRL 160 K9GY Single Op LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 07 Dec 2014 15:05:46 +0000
                    ARRL 160-Meter Contest

Call: K9GY
Operator(s): K9GY
Station: K9GY

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: NR Chicago
Operating Time (hrs): 8

Total:  QSOs = 245  Sections = 53  Countries = 0  Total Score = 25,970

Club: Society of Midwest Contesters

Comments:

Whoa that was some fun. Not a 160 regular or have permanent antenna for 160.

Bought surplus military poles at Dayton (metal ones). Plan was to use twelve 4'
sections to support W8AMZ 160m shortened sloper at 48' (recommended at least
45'). That setup was way too sloppy with the pole swinging side to side.
Shortened the pole to 28' and was much more stable. Low end was at 8' above
farmer's field (lots of mud on my boots!). I thought that the lower height
would really diminish the effectiveness of antenna?! Took about two hours on
Sat afternoon to configure antenna (used 200' run of coax). So hopefully I
didn't waste my time outside putting up temporary antenna?

Despite the S9 QRN levels was able to work K9CT (not too far but a test) then
K3WW in EPA...yes I think it works! Was even able to hear N6RO and ZF2AH but no
QSO. Problem was FT-857 (or power supply) kept tripping off (happened at least
five times). My apologies to K9OM as it died during our QSO. Thought it was RFI
getting into something so tried different things but nothing fixed it. Finally
the radio didn't turn back on or couldn't be manually turned on. Spent about 45
mins setting up the IC-7100 (and different power supply) ....around QSO # 128.
Absolutely no RFI issues with the IC-7100 ...but maybe it was the power supply?
My scientific control variables weren't well thought out there, hah!

Lots of MN, MDC, VA.... will be great to see how the club competition turns
out. GO SMC!

Missed Friday night due to attendance at the Montreal vs Chicago NHL game. What
a great finish with Saad scoring a goal with 27 seconds left...Sorry you VE2
fans! Then while operating on Saturday watched the Blackhawks play in
Nashville... Hossa with two goals! Sorry you W4 TN fans! So overall a good
hockey weekend and radio weekend :-) GO HAWKS!

I'll look forward to the next 160 event.

Happy Holidays and best of health to all,
Eric K9GY