[3830] ARRL 160 N8II Single Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, N8II@aol.com
Subject: [3830] ARRL 160 N8II Single Op HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 07 Dec 2014 19:17:23 +0000
                    ARRL 160-Meter Contest

Call: N8II
Operator(s): N8II
Station: N8II

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: WV
Operating Time (hrs): ~13

Total:  QSOs = 1066  Sections = 73  Countries = 16  Total Score = 196,423

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

I didn't see all of those QSO's coming, thanks to all of those casual ops who
stooped by and made it worth staying on the radio. This is probably the biggest
score I have ever made in the ARRL 160; many years I was burned out after all of
the previous contests. I am no night owl, went QRT around 06Z Sunday after being
off from 0415-0515 and quit Friday night around 0430Z because I was hearing
absolutely nothing from EU as well as western Canada and northwest of CO. First
night effort was 663 Q's/75 mults, lots of pretty high rate hours with a few
breaks. The first night was pretty brutal past 5 and 0 land and despite working
all of the lower 48 states at least twice except ND (once), I never heard
anything from VE5-VE8. Conditions seemed a bit better the 2nd night to EU, but
with very low activity and the DX window was out the window, so I probably
worked about equal numbers both night with a total of about 20 EU Q's.
Conditions to the Rocky mountains and west coast were noticeably better the 2nd
night as well. In addition to missing all of Canada west of VE4, missed NL, WTX
(worked a boatload (39) of NTX/STX, pretty inexplicable), SF, EB, PAC, and AK.
If I were to put the Q's together from all of FL, it would be 45 Q's and is
ever increasing. Biggest section QSO totals were OH 62, VA 61 (my antenna seems
to have a null to northern VA), MI & MN 40 each, NC 38, MDC 37, EPA 35. The
only northern EU worked were SM and LY; a less disturbed ionosphere really
would have improved the mults. I heard a good number of PVRC members, hopefully
we are in the running for the unlimited club title.

CU on 10M next weekend!
73, Jeff