[3830] ARRL 160 N8XX Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, n8xx@arrl.org
Subject: [3830] ARRL 160 N8XX Single Op LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 07 Dec 2014 20:08:02 +0000
                    ARRL 160-Meter Contest

Call: N8XX
Operator(s): N8XX
Station: N8XX

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: MICHIGAN
Operating Time (hrs): 6

Total:  QSOs = 229  Sections = 52  Countries = 0  Total Score = 23,816

Club: Mad River Radio Club

Comments:

Murphy struck twice.  Antennna adjustment was incorrect for first evening -
couldn't get better than SWR=4 except WAAAYYYY high in the band.  It was too
dark and too cold to make adjustments in the dark, so operated anyway. Rig shut
down to 30 watts maximum power, but managed about 50 Q's.  (Drake makes very
tolerant finals, bullet proof.)

Saturday/Sunday evening/morning was much better, after adjusting the antenna
for satisfactory match between 1800 and past 1860 KHz.  Average rate was
"so-so" but learned that calling CQ was quite productive, over 60
Q's/hour for over an hour.

However, my atomic clock, which is also my alarm clock, went bonker, and didn't
awaken me around 0900Z, when I planned to operate an hour or two to pick up more
multipliers.  Woke up when my wife's alarm clock went off about 1300Z, which was
past sunrise, so didn't even turn on the rig.

I did learn that even my "cloud warmer antenna" and about 70 to 80
watts can be heard by many stations.  (and heard often by the skimmers of the
Reverse Beacon network, which I checked post contest).  There are many station
who are doiung S&P), after the first 27 hours when most other S&P'er
have worked them all.  The "run rate" isn't anything about which to
write home, but calls were steady for over an hour, beginning shortly after
0500Z.

For those in the centennial QSO party, my choice was Low Power rather than my
usual <5 watts, to spread Centennial QP points liberally.  Apologies for not
waking up in the wee hours of the morning, which might have netted another 100
to 150 Q's.