[3830] ARRL 10 WU2X(K5GO) SO CW Unlimited HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, wa5rtg@gmail.com
Subject: [3830] ARRL 10 WU2X(K5GO) SO CW Unlimited HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 15 Dec 2014 15:13:54 +0000
                    ARRL 10-Meter Contest

Call: WU2X
Operator(s): K5GO
Station: N2QV

Class: SO CW Unlimited HP
QTH: NY
Operating Time (hrs): 28
Remote Operation

   CW: 1858   165
  SSB:
-------------------
Total: 1858   165  Total Score = 1,225,620

Club: Yankee Clipper Contest Club

Comments:

Thanks to N2QV for allowing me to use his station while I sat comfortably in my
home in Arkansas. Also thanks to WU2X for allowing me to use his call sign to
avoid confusion about where the station was located.

This was the second time I operated using remote control of the station and the
first time I was using the RBN/Packet/Unlimited thing.  I have been known to be
one of the more staunch opponents to skimmer, not because of what it does now
but where it is going to lead to in the next decade.  There is no question that
applying all technology to this sport is going to change it into an automated
robot operation.

Before the contest I went to play golf with a friend.  We got behind a foursome
consisting of two men and two women who were extremely slow, wouldn't let us
play throough and I was getting anxious since I wanted to be back well before
the contest started.  My friend asked me about the contest and I told him that
I was going to be connected to a station in New York via the internet.  Here is
what a perceptive, non-ham had to say about that....  He said so you are not
going to use your antennas and are going to be connected to someone else via
the internet?  I said Yes.  He said that it was not the same and more like a
computer game. I didn't say anything but thought EI5DI would absolutely love
this.

Friday evening there was not much activity and I worked perhaps 150 stations. I
was looking forward to good Europe conditions on Saturday which did not happen
with the solar disturbances.  Anyway, Friday night the intenet stopped working.
 After talking to a ROBOT at Cox Communications for about an hour and doing
everything she wanted me to do, it still did not work, so I was rude and hung
up on her.  While talking to her I was thinking about what my golfing partner
had to say and realizing that I can't make a single contact without the
internet, an no, Ron, its not the same.  After hanging up with the Ms Robot, I
was walking down the hallway and saw a wireless internet extender device I
plugged into the wall.  I unplugged it and everyting started working again.
>From that point on there was no interruption in Internet service and everyting
worked as well as can be expected.

I am still struggling a bit with the idea of K0HB's Boy and His Radio Operation
being doomed to a memory within the next decade, but appreciate the opportunity
to work the contest.

During slow times I kept an ear on ZF2DX who was sitting in his van on the
beach with 100 watts and a generator.

73 and Happy Holidays to everyone.

Stan, K5GO