[3830] ARRL 10 GM3W M/S HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, gm3sek@ifwtech.co.uk
Subject: [3830] ARRL 10 GM3W M/S HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 15 Dec 2014 15:18:42 +0000
                    ARRL 10-Meter Contest

Call: GM3W
Operator(s): GM3SEK MM0WNW
Station: GM3W

Class: M/S HP
QTH:
Operating Time (hrs):

   CW:  981   120
  SSB:  723    94
-------------------
Total: 1704   214  Total Score = 1,149,180

Club:

Comments:

Rig : K3, Quadra
Antennas : 3-el SteppIR
Software : N1MM+ (no problems)

The ARRL 10m is a favourite contest for MM0WNW and myself,
as we can operate "Mr & Mrs", taking advantage of the
double QSO points for CW and a YL's voice on SSB.
The down-side is that, from Scotland, you never know what
shape 10m is going to be in.
CW on Saturday morning was good to Asiatic Russia, but
with strong auroral echo on Scandinavians and no trace
of JA or OC. This was repeated in the afternoon when we
turned to the west and switched to SSB, with plenty of
QSOs but no W6 and only one W7.
Propagation on Sunday was definitely better, and we
tried to operate a mirror-image of the day before,
spending the morning mostly on SSB and then switching
to CW for the afternoon. However, we could still hear
no trace of the ZLs or JAs who were being spotted from
further south, and worked very few stations west of the
Rockies.
One final point: the HF bands remain open to Europe MUCH
later than most W/VE stations seem to imagine. A few W5s
beaming toward new England were rewarded by a surprise
GM multiplier on the same heading!

73 and thanks for the QSOs,
Ian GM3SEK and Nadine MM0WNW