[3830] ARRL 10 WA3AER SO SSB Unlimited HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, thbauer@gmail.com
Subject: [3830] ARRL 10 WA3AER SO SSB Unlimited HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 15 Dec 2014 17:03:36 +0000
                    ARRL 10-Meter Contest

Call: WA3AER
Operator(s): WA3AER
Station: WA3AER

Class: SO SSB Unlimited HP
QTH: MD
Operating Time (hrs): 4

   CW:    0
  SSB:  126    52
-------------------
Total:  126    52  Total Score = 13,104

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

Rig: Flex5000, AL-80A
Ant.: Hex Beam
Logger: N1MM Classic

4 hours was a lot less than I had planned. Technology was the culprit. Starting
last week, for some odd reason, CAT control refused to play nice...and I refused
to operate without it. Thankfully my friend Neal, K3NC, waved his magic wand
over the computer early Sunday afternoon and cured the problem. We believe
there is a package start-up timing issue, as yet still out there in the
Twilight Zone.

But, 4 hours is better than ZERO hours! My try at Running netted ONE response
(!), so S&P remained the mode of the day. Since I started later Sunday than
I had hoped, EU was long gone. SA and the West were another story entirely. I
noticed some path skew on the longer western Qs and was intrigued the way areas
came and went, then sometimes came in again. This reminded me of 6M conditions
as the day wore past 2200Z here. Instead of shutting down because contacts
became sparse, I stuck it out and managed contacts until almost The End. The
one station I missed working was KH2L in Guam; tried a number of times before
they faded out, but no luck. They were loud here for quite some time.

Tnx to all the PVRC ops who answered my calls. BTW, it was fun sending
Christmas Greetings along with the required contest reports...and getting MANY
in return.

I wish I had been able to operate more hours on Sunday. Could we have another
10M contest this Winter? :-) This one was Fun in spite of the tech glitches.